How videogame warriors escape the game grid

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/04/how-videogame-warriors-escape.html

4 Likes

6 Likes

Even with the Daft Punk soundtrack, the original is still superior to Legacy.

In fact, the video for DeRezzed is what I would have vastly preferred for Legacy instead of what we got.

7 Likes

I humbly disagree. The rewatchability of the original just isn’t there. I’ve seen Legacy many times and love it every time. The original is quite boring at times. But I’m not surprised there would be differences of opinion on this. Both movies have the exact same score on IMDB.

6 Likes

Oh god, thats awful.

2 Likes

Pac-Man cameo at 2:38 FTW!

6 Likes

I love awkward movie exposition for the audience.

“Blue leader to blue bikes, run these guys into your jet walls.”

“Oh, make them hit my WALLS. OMG, so glad you told me that, blue leader! That must be why they put you in charge!”

5 Likes

Favorite scene in that film back in the day. I have just now noticed the Pac-Man cameo at the end of it!

1 Like

Still remember the first time I saw an image of the CG lightcycles from Tron in an issue of Starlog in '82. My brain couldn’t quite make sense of what I was seeing: It clearly wasn’t a painting, or a hand-drawn cel, but it wasn’t a photograph of an actual object, either. What WAS it? From then on, I was fascinated enough by computer imagery that I eventually made it my career.

13 Likes

I know! First time I ever noticed that.

It was a simpler time, a time when you couldn’t assume everyone in the movie theater had played a video game before.

4 Likes

I just think of Legacy as an extended music video for the soundtrack album…

3 Likes

Ooof. They borked the aspect ratio. This is painful for me.

4 Likes

Yikes. I’ve never seen that but it looks like they were trying for a mid-80s Beyond the Mind’s Eye intentionally-lousy CG look. I mean, points for nailing the retro thing, but I would have walked out of a badly-animated computer-jousting movie pretty quickly.

1 Like

I remember reading about the production of the original film, and how there would never be another filmed in the same way again. The layers upon layers of rendered cells were remarkable.

And the ultra-low light filming conditions that were needed to produce the desired video-game effect created huge challenges for the camera operators! In one scene the camera person had the aperture as wide open as it would go, which reduced the depth of field to nearly zero. The camera person told the director the light was so low he couldn’t get the whole actor in focus, so the director said to focus on his face. The operator couldn’t get the whole face in focus, so the director said “just focus on his eyes,” to which the camera man replied, “Which eye?”

As much as I liked the original, I think part of my favor came from marveling at the very first CG animation, and I don’t think the story aged as well. Legacy was overall a better movie (with a way better soundtrack), although not without its problems. Smoove Jeff was firmly occupying the Uncanny Valley, and that was a distraction every time he was on screen.

Whatever. I still like them both.

1 Like

I’m actually impressed by what a good job this video does of duplicating the look of the original Tron, which is surprisingly difficult with modern rendering techniques (they tend to make things look too good).

For me that added to it. The short scene of him younger was no biggie. When he was CLU, the falseness of him just added to the characters corrupt nature.

3 Likes

You have to remember it was 1982. They literally had to write their own CGI programs to animate this. It also spawned several ‘serious research papers’ presented at SIGGRAPH '82. If I remember correctly anti-aliasing was a big thing at the time and texture mapping, virtual sets, and camera tracking.
It was pretty ground breaking both in movie making and in computer science.

1 Like

I would assume that everyone in the audience for TRON had played a video game before.

1 Like

I’ve surprised that they haven’t made a Joust movie yet. There’s more basic plot than Battleship. :sunglasses:

5 Likes