Howto: design a cocktail for a Lunar civilization

Produce will be grown, fermented, and distilled there. Flavor ingredients will be shipped powdered, freeze dried, or as distilled essential oils.

1 Like

That’s what i was thinking. Maybe there are sugar sources that put more of their carbon budget into sugar than the plants we conventionally use here, where carbon is free and so not a budget item.

There are processes for making ethanol from cellulose - either converting cellulose to sugars and then using the usual yeast method, or gasifying it to carbon monoxide and hydrogen and then catalysing conversion to ethanol. That would let you start with much more of the plant than just the seed or fruit.

3 Likes

For efficiency, isn’t the answer sugarcane? It’s notably effective at turning sunlight into sugars, and there’s whole industries based on its byproducts as well.

1 Like

Also possibly sugar beets?

1 Like

Sugarcane seems it’d be easier to grow hydro than beets mind.

1 Like

Couldn’t they just crush up some moon rocks to make soil?

(I’m not sure if I’m being serious with that, or not!)

On Earth, where sunlight is the bounded input and atmospheric carbon is free - yes, it probably is.

On the moon, where the theory goes that atmospheric carbon is more scarce than sunlight - maybe, maybe not.

In any case, that does very much suggest distilled liquor is going to be the end result. If you have ever tasted a rum wash before it’s distilled, you’ll see what I’m getting at.

3 Likes

There’s a lot more to soil than just crushed rock. There’s usable nitrogen. There are various minerals. There are whole complex biomes.

2 Likes

I was thinking crushed moon rocks could serve as a material to physically hold the beets, and would have to be enriched with…something?… Sigh, I suppose my plan to have a big bowl of ice cream and a multivitamin pill for dinner is not well-founded, either… :disappointed:

2 Likes

It’s definitely a good start. There’s just more that needs to go into it.

1 Like

Whisler’s birthday, and Moore turned up tonight with a modification of his famous J.O.L.G. (Just One Li’1 Glass). It was smoky rose colored, with an odor of chocolate, and a strong lemon flavour. It was as stimulating as ever. Moore forbade all alcohol as they would react. Whisler appreciated the honor done him, and received fifteen c.c. of the liquid. Later he must have felt fifteen c.c. too little (it looks so tiny) and had a glass. I had to cook tonight.

They covered this in Moon Zero Two as well. It might have some merits, but its lethargic pace makes it something of a trial.

Skip ahead to 25:37 if this doesn’t queue up properly:

Remember all the giddy anticipation about powered alcohol a few years ago? That completely died, didn’t it?

1 Like

Whisler’s birthday, and Moore turned up tonight with a modification of his famous J.O.L.G. (Just One Li’1 Glass). It was smoky rose colored, with an odor of chocolate, and a strong lemon flavour. It was as stimulating as ever. Moore forbade all alcohol as they would react. Whisler appreciated the honor done him, and received fifteen c.c. of the liquid. Later he must have felt fifteen c.c. too little (it looks so tiny) and had a glass. I had to cook tonight.
 — The Moon is Hell. John W. Campbell.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.