SpaceX is hiring a spaceport bartender

Originally published at: SpaceX is hiring a spaceport bartender | Boing Boing

1 Like

Just don’t hire that “no droids!” guy. You don’t need that kind of negativity.

8 Likes

“Drink this. It’ll seal your fate.”

6 Likes

I know that when I go up in a spaceship to experience weightlessness for 10 minutes, I want to do it with a billionaire who has just drank 11 Space Champaign Cocktails.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure carbonation is not recommended in microgravity.

3 Likes

6 Likes

It is pretty damn cool though:

5 Likes

1c8535b58f14c323de077df11af6dc57

3 Likes

Because of course they are.

1 Like

Weird. Most job openings I see advertised indicate at least a range of compensation/benefits. This one includes none, yet it asks for undergrad GPA, SAT and/or ACT scores, and tons of other stuff seemingly unrelated to slinging drinks.

1 Like

It should be noted that the bar in question is up here, top left-hand side of the High Bay.
Inside the High Bay was the Starship Booster 4, the most powerful rocket ever built. It has since been moved to the giant new orbital launch platform.

2 Likes

Moon Bar. Wonder if he’ll make a Mars Bar too?

4 Likes

Slinging drinks is (as anyone who’s done it knows) is only half the job-- the other half is listening to everyone’s complaints/brags/rants.

Just like with the accomplished hostesses in Ginza or Gangnam, the smarter the bartender, the more the patrons (who will all be rocket scientists) will enjoy their time there.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t mean that in a disparaging way. I’ve bartended, waitressed, hostessed, etc. for eons. I know the “mixology” is only half the job. Maybe even only 1/4 if you count all the clean up. But I also don’t think SAT or ACT scores or GPAs indicate AT ALL how good someone will be at lending a sympathetic ear and carrying on conversations. So like I said, unrelated to the skill of slinging drinks.
I think it’s a subtle way to inject some bias into the hiring process without being too overt about it.

5 Likes

… ok, that gif makes the line from the TNG episode Relics all the more funny. (Data says it in Ten Forward to Scotty)

All of their job listings are in that format.

The former is very uncommon for tech companies. You don’t hear about benefits until the interview and compensation range is never discussed at all. You’ll be given an offer and negotiate from there.

The latter is probably because all their job openings use boilerplate put into LinkedIn Recruiter or similar software, which then gets exported to all job postings. This is also common in tech companies.

So I suspect what you’re seeing here is a standard tech company recruiting team that has never hired for a position like “bartender” before. When your only tool is a hammer, you treat everything like a software engineer.

6 Likes

think GIF

3 Likes

Do they drug test? Peeing in a cup is an important skill.

5b0522fafc051ab9bc51c6e46c3e51b7

1 Like

They must have muted the audio when shouts of, “Holy shit!” could have been heard. :wink:

1 Like