HP making a leather laptop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/01/hp-making-a-leather-laptop.html

1 Like

The instructional videos on how to change the battery should be interesting.

“Take your seam ripper and carefully sever the stitching about two inches from the front end of the case, and then three inches past that. Remove the thread, but be careful not to rip the needle holes. Now, take a sharp pair of shears…”

7 Likes

Wait, they’re made out of meat?

6 Likes

Many cows died to bring you this computer.

3 Likes

Can I get this in the fake tanned skin of politicians?

3 Likes

No, but there will be one that uses leather from skinned Silicon Valley entrepreneurs.

2 Likes

Corinth is famous for its leather!

1 Like

I have used a leather sample as a mouse pad for years, and it truly does look like a well-worn boot. An aesthetic I rather appreciate.

3 Likes

Silly consumer, did you wander in from a decade ago?

Any repairs can be easily completed with just a credit card and an HP Authorized Service Provider. The process is quite simple; though it can take 8-10 business days from the receipt of your computer.

1 Like

Leather makes a pretty fair insulator, so I’d expect this machine to overheat frequently unless they slow things down considerably.

3 Likes

So that’s where Lenovo went wrong.

Thinkpad Reserve Edition

1 Like

You don’t want that one.

Normally it’s not so bad; but the higher the P/E ratio of NASDAQ-listed companies gets the more disconcertingly fresh and supple the case becomes; and whatever you do on the computer is inexorably drawn toward a reality where some forgotten .com is not just vibrant; but hegemonic.

As long as you avoid prolonged contact with the object it typically doesn’t get any worse than finding a burned into your forehad or the back of your right hand; but it goes downhill fast from there.

3 Likes

Suspect this is going to go into the past fashion pile that includes 1970s denim gauchos.

Wait, they’re made out of meat?

I came here just for this.

Probably unfortunately for us it’s a standard machine wearing a layer of flayed flesh.

That never goes poorly.

2 Likes

X61? Looks 4:3, so it doesn’t look like it could be too much later in X series lineage; but might be a little earlier than the 61, I think the X40-era was very externally similar.

Yes.

It’s the Thinkpad Reserve Edition which was an X61 in a leather case, which cost a lot more than a standard X61 cost.

If you think that’s bad, wait until you read the reassembly instructions.

“Reassemble layers. Prepare your sewing machine and bobbin with matching upholstery thread. (Semi-industrial or industrial grade machine recommended.) Ensure your stitch length is matched to the existing needle hole pattern. Carefully re-stitch layers.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.