Huge 100-pound "goldfish" washed up on Oregon Coast

Originally published at: Huge 100-pound "goldfish" washed up on Oregon Coast | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Amazing they got it to safety before the gulls got to it.

9 Likes

M-O-O-N

A warm-blooded fish.

7 Likes

“One lucky school group will get the chance to dissect this large fish,” says the Aquarium.

My dad said in college his Biology professor was friends with someone at a zoo, and was able to dissect some exotic animals who had died there.

This is a gorgeous beach, our family favorite. Blink-and-you’ll-miss-it turnout (with a cute, serve yourself, flower cart), hardly anyone there.

Marvel at why the Astoria Country Club would

1. be outside Warrenton (IRL)
  2. want to buy The Goonies house, being 10+ miles away (in the movie)
3 Likes

I may get pilloried for this but, damn, Opah are delicious. The offshore fleet on the east coast comes across them occasionally and the better fishmongers will source them. It’s a firm flesh, nearly like swordfish, but with an amazing fatty layer under the skin.

2 Likes

Opah are highly regarded and considered tasty in HI.

3 Likes
1 Like

& @MadLibrarian opah is delicious! The flavor is quite unique and hard to describe. People regularly catch them offshore in Oregon in late summer while fishing the albacore migration.

3 Likes

Somehow my mind went right to the “dynamite the whale on the beach” video… then I re-read the headline and saw it was 100 pounds and not 1000 pounds.

More’s the pity.

2 Likes

Next time I go to the coast, I’ll see if I can find that beach!

2 Likes

But will we ever know the bad joke that fish just told? Because it has the same look as the ubiquitous pun dog all over the internet.

5 Likes

This fish needs to be photoshopped into all kinds of places…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.