Huge Pew poll puts Biden ahead by double digits and it's the best news Trump's had in days

I hope so, too, but if they had come out in large enough numbers, we’d be talking about candidate Sanders now.

Keep advocating for the issues that matter to you. that’s how you make change.

13 Likes

Obama campaigned left too, and when he got into power he squandered his first two years and then cozied up with oil producers against native people and environmentalists, and with wall st against poor (former-)homeowners.

But yeah on paper its not as rightwing as bill clinton

1 Like

Obama was the best President of my lifetime.

It’s the first time we had anything like health care reform. We got Lilly Ledbetter - I was respected as an LGBT person and our rights were moved forward. He hired trans people to work in the White House - one of whom is now a state senator.

Screw that noise.

22 Likes

Cool. So you’ve donated what is a lot of money for you to Biden, phone banked and will work the polls?

9 Likes

You might be surprised, although there certainly are not as many people employed in them as there were 30 years ago.

I do some business with a couple of specialty steel makers that still operate even in 2020, but they don’t have the budgets they had just 4 years ago.

4 Likes

Is there a way to map the poll results to predicted electoral votes? Because measuring the popular vote is nice but not what wins the race.

2 Likes

I would never vote for Trump but I 100% believe he is more likely to stand up for what he believes in than Joe Biden. That also says that Trump will not accept new evidence that changes something he already believes.

That’s actually why Biden’s a better choice.

8 Likes

While the ACA isn’t As good as single-payer, it still represented a huge step forward for most Americans. Calling that effort “squandered “ is a shitty take.

18 Likes

“Do you want 4 more years of this shit plus even more rampant shitting on things you care about - like the environment??” should be motivation enough. Biden’s environmental stance may not be as progressive as many of us would like, but it is far superior to Trump’s approach of tearing it all down and science denial.

14 Likes

Progressive causes will continue to be a grind. Who is legitimately surprised by this? Fairytale revolutionaries?

11 Likes

Some progressives just can’t bring themselves to admit that Obama moved our country in the right direction because they insist on comparing what he actually accomplished with what people like Bernie Sanders set out to accomplish.

I agree this is a really shitty take, because we have no reason to believe that Republicans wouldn’t have obstructed Bernie Sanders’ agenda with at least as much fervor as they obstructed Obama’s.

21 Likes

I see it this way:

• Most of the things Joe Biden says are the things he believes to be true.
  • Trump believes things to be true because he said them, and gets furious when reality refuses to reshape itself to his proclamations.
20 Likes

it’d be a lot easier without the all the various forms of voter suppression especially the barring of felons from voting (the racist war on drugs) and the lack of early voting, mail in voting, or a federal voting holiday.

there are a lot of people who don’t vote because they can’t vote. enough in florida to more than swing the state blue.

anyways, i don’t think it’s partisanship - more people actually identify as independents now i think - it’s voter suppression that’s really done the trick.

6 Likes

i think i disagree. sometimes change is incremental but just as often it’s stair-stepped.

the analogy i’d use is like an earthquake. what builds slowly is the pressure, the change happens in an instant.

( see also: punctuated equilibrium in evolution )

8 Likes

To be a true centrist is to shift depending on where the “center” lies. Having a firm set of values that you will stand up for causes one to be less centrist. Biden’s strength and weakness in a nutshell.

8 Likes

I got mine yesterday. I’m planning on dropping it off at town hall on my way to the office Monday. [I need an occasional change of scenery.]

Well, consider what Trump believes in. Trump believes in Trump and … ?

8 Likes

Sadly enough, a good part of people who vote for principled democrats are still living in a country where one disaster, or radical change (oil prices soar) can cause huge hardship (and some still think corporations serve more purpose than extracting money more efficiently). He has to court those folks, because many people don’t realize how fragile the water tables are, and are easy prey for special interst groups (and facebook ads).

I think we are saying the same thing.

Yes, when you get say a court ruling on gay marriage, the change is made, in an instant. But there were several smaller steps and changes preceding this change - setting it up.

Like gay marriage - that has been a decades long battle that started in the US in 1970.

2 Likes

Love this. He thinks running the country is the same as being a dad. “Because I said so.”

1 Like

Honestly I don’t think he knows much about how to be a dad either.

18 Likes