Hugh Keays-Byrne, of Mad Max fame, dead at 73

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/02/hugh-keays-byrne-of-mad-max-fame-dead-at-73.html

13 Likes

I didn’t realize Toecutter and Immortan Joe were played by the same actor.

23 Likes

Now who will get Kundalini’s hand back?

11 Likes

The NightRider…

Remember him when you look at the night sky!

13 Likes

Some actors are never in lots of movies, only in a couple, but they play their part so memorably people everywhere remember them.

Keays-Byrne’s 2 main characters will be remembered by many for a long time. His acting was superb in both roles.

19 Likes

Witnessed.

May he ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

34 Likes

Does that mean they are the same character?

3 Likes

He also had a occasionally recurring role in Farscape for which I remember him fondly.

13 Likes

Toecutter would have had a tough time surviving the first film.

10 Likes

Some people have headcanons to that effect. His injuries in the first film being why he’s so fucked up in Fury Road.

6 Likes

My head cannon is that Toecutter and Joe are the same character, but I think George Miller said they are not meant to be.

Hope he’s at the gates of Valhalla.

6 Likes

“What? Does this mean I might end up typecast too?”

9 Likes

Guns!!l I Hate Guns!!!

2 Likes

Keays-Byrne toured Australia with the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1973, decided to stay there

To be fair he wanted to tour ALL of Australia

My favorite line of his (and probably across the board) from Fury Road:

5 Likes

To be honest, Wes is an absolute favorite for sheer nuttiness and animalistic sounds. Vernon Wels does crazy so well, I wished he’d had more screen time

To anybody that didn’t know, Mad Max are my favorite films, 2 & 3, then fury road, then 1.

3 Likes

Oh, I’m more Fury Road, 2, 1, and then 3. Splitter!

3 Likes

1 is your least fave!? Do you even troll?

2 Likes

Mad Max 5 is my all-time fave, and if you haven’t seen it yet, I’m telling you f’all. I’m no splitter.

Similarly I assumed the Gyro Captain from The Road Warrior was supposed to be the same character as the pilot Jedediah from Beyond Thunderdome (same actor, same vocation) but Miller said that’s not the case either. Maybe they’re supposed to be identical twins or something.

7 Likes