Hugh Keays-Byrne, of Mad Max fame, dead at 73

I rewatched this scene last night and there’s another shot after where he looks, well, pretty darn dead. But I still say he’s Joe.

I always assumed the same thing.

In actuality, after Max, I love the gyrocaptain, only because I was always fascinated growing up that you could have a little helicopter that actually worked and I’ve always wanted one because of that movie.

2 Likes

Next Miller will announce that the lead character in each movie is supposed to be a different former police officer named “Max” who just happens to drive the same kind of car and has no relation to any of the characters in the other films.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that timeline when it comes to Fury Road.. At the time of filming the actor for Max was only about 38 years old, and two years younger than the actress for Furiosa, so it’s really unclear how he’s supposed to even be old enough to remember the pre-apocalypse time, let alone be old enough to be a former cop. (As the opening voiceover confirms that he was) But that’s cool! It’s still an awesome movie that we would do well not to pick it apart too much.

1 Like

The movie itself was amazing but the only thing that upset me was that they did not get continuity of Max.

I really wish they could have gotten Gibson for the role even though he’s a piece of shit at this point and him handing off some sort of legacy to a new Max or something would have gone a long way and it could have created a dynasty kind of like Star Wars except I pray to gods that Lucas shit wouldn’t happen again.

I imagine finding Max or his skeleton or something and his diary and he basically has little role but the gravity of that small rule shows who he was and allows some sort of story to end and another to begin

Nobody wants HIS blood.

2 Likes

That’s what I wanted originally too, but if you think about the movies the way Miller apparently does (part of some much later oral tradition) then it works better to have a new younger Max so you can (1) pull a James Bond when needed and (2) have the character go through all kinds of roughly simultaneous adventures like Odysseus or Aeneas.

1 Like

Autogyros aren’t helicopters, just to be super-duper pedantic for a moment. :wink:

1 Like

you are absolutely correct and I still want one by the way.

I think the only thing that beats it is those ducted fan things that work with a parachute so you can just shoot yourself into the sky. The only problem is you can’t actually escape the police fast enough in that…

1 Like

This is what I want. Seems like it would fit well in the Mad Max universe if the chute was just a little less colorful.

2 Likes

It’s 2020 my friend — we are in the jet pack era!

(Wasn’t that Kundalini? Bubba’s famous last words were “I know what I’m doing.”)

1 Like

Seems like it didn’t end so well for the gyro captain either.

This thread is giving me flashbacks of that far off time in '16 when we had a brief discussion about the mythology of the Max character and i still maintain Max is by far the least interesting aspect of all the films and probably only exists as a cypher for the survivors to tell their stories through.

3 Likes

God damn, you’re right. I am ashamed of myself for getting that wrong.

I think my punishment is going to be watching the first Mad Max tonight for the millionth time for some reason Bubba Zanetti’s name always stuck in my head better than Kundalini.

Does it help that Coober Pedy has always been on my bucket list to visit?

1 Like

Seen this?

1 Like

Well in all these years, that’s the first time I’ve heard the original dialogue in the first film. (I’m in the US.) I’d seen it on TV about 35 years ago, and I have the DVD (from about 20 years ago), and (almost) all of the voices are dubbed with American accents. Max sounds a bit like Casey Kasem.

(I haven’t yet seen Fury Road, and speaking of favorite films from my youth, I’ve yet to see the Blade Runner sequel.)

No I haven’t. Seems weird. Not quite what I mentioned, interesting though.

Fair enough. You have good taste in films

1 Like

So many others along those lines, thanks!

The original Mad Max is an underrated masterpiece

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.