Hundred-year-old fruitcake found in Antarctica is in "excellent condition"

Shelf stable for 7 years

There is, and it’s much more receptive when you’re very young; the theory is that little kids are more sensitive to bitter things to teach them what not to eat (poisons, rotten food) and spit it out. I know that there’s lots of bitter-ish things that I found horribly nasty as a little kid — liver, coffee, onions, pickles, spinach – that I love as adult. Hell, I have a literal collection of bitters now.

1 Like

That takes a stable shelf…
I poked around teh intawebz a bit and found out that they’ve reduced the shelf life of EPAs from 10 years to 3.5 years. But they introduced vegetarian and no-pork versions, I rate this as a huge improvement.
The biscuits are still bulletproof, though.

2 Likes

I got that figure from LaBruite who makes kosher MREs, both meat and meatless. Had to find out because I got some loose packs for my earthquake ready box and the expiration dates are usually printed on the outer carton.

The LaBruite stuff looks interesting, especially the Cheese Ravioli in Marinara Sauce. I just don’t understand all this “vegetarian beef/steak/nuggets” nonsense.

I guess an earthquake box makes sense in Japan.
(“Vodka and pills? I told you to leave dad’s earthquake kit alone, Amy!”)

1 Like

They sell lots of different shelf stable supermarket kosher meals in the US as well as the MRE contracting. I’m told they aren’t bad.

One large flight case for the MREs, a medium size ammo case for high concentrate energy bars (also kosher of course) and a small ammo case for documents.

The rum seems to be enough to preserve it. I generally just cover it with
aluminum foil and put it in a plastic bag to keep it from drying out, but
leave it at room temperature.

1 Like

I should have phrased that differently. I learned there is one receptor. That isn’t the case. Last time I read about it, about twenty-two were known.
Also, expression of the genetic basis changes over time, I assume. Add this to learning which foods are culturally acceptable and/or delicious, and you end up with great interpersonal differences. I, for one, can taste saffron only weakly, but I am very good at detecting hints of glucosinolates.

A while ago “supertasters” were discussed by @doctorow, and others. I would venture matters are far more complicated than that label.

1 Like

Film tip:

Reasons for watching:
(1) It’s funny. I like that in a comedy.
(2) Has aged remarkable well. The underlying theme - real food vs synthetic food - has rather gained in importance over the last four decades.
(3) If you have “supertaster” friends, or friends who are a bit pretentious about food and you want to mock them - well, here’s your role model and some useful catchphrases.

1 Like

I actually have never liked melon or cantaloupe. I couldn’t really tell you why. They taste alright i suppose? It’s not totally gross tasting and i will tolerate them in fruit mixes but i would well rather never have to eat them if given a choice.

This is a good summation. They aren’t gross, and I’ll eat them if I need to (i.e., kindly grandma asking me why I’m not eating all of my fruit salad, etc), but I’d prefer not to, as for some reason I don’t find them very enjoyable, the way I do citrus, tropical fruits, grapes, and pretty much any other fruit in the world. Watermelon’s great, however.

Watermelon is good as hell. Got one at home right now that needs to be sliced up. Forgive me for going a bit off topic but this reminds me an age old Venezuelan drink/fruit salad, think of sangria but non alcoholic and it being served as a drink is optional but generally its served as a fruit salad. The fruits that go in it is all to your personal taste but common ingredients are:

-Pineapple
-Orange or mandarin
-Mango
-Grape
-Papaya
-Apple
-Watermelon
-Melon and/or Cantaloupe
-Banana

Some people will add juice to this to make it closer to a sangria, but it’s entirely optional and the fruits themselves will usually bring enough juice to the mix itself but orange juice and a little bit of lemonade or soda can be added. ALSO, important, when serving to someone you must top it off with a generous drizzle of sweetened condensed milk.

I have fond memories in early school years of teacher getting the whole class to bring fruits to make these as a treat for the classroom :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll quibble on the need for frosting, but otherwise, yeah. I never understood fruit cake as a kid - my family didn’t eat it, and on the rare occasions I ran into it, it was the awful grocery store stuff. Then I had my mother-in-law’s stuff. She makes a light, medium and dark every year, using something like the above. Amazing stuff.

2 Likes

To each his own.

Icing. Definitely not frosting.

It’s nice without icing also. But definitely icing not frosting if you’re going to put something on it.

1 Like

Looks interesting. However, LDF’s humour is usually to quick for my French, I can’t watch the German dubbed version without constantly thinking “what the hell did they say in French?”, and watching this in English might just not work for me because English isn’t my first language, and it’s dubbed from the French (see above).

I think that’s a fairly common reason for not liking fruit cake - thinking of it as a dessert.

If you think of it as an early Victorian energy bar, you’re more on track.

Dwarf bread basically. It’s there to provide you with lots of energy if you need it and to motivate you to find anything more interesting to eat.

The reason it goes in wedding cake isn’t that it tastes nice, it’s so you and the guests can keep it - theoretically you eat it on your anniversary (‘Let’s not and say we did’ applies).

I could well believe a 100 year old cake left in Antarctica would be edible (for you won’t die if you eat it levels of edible).

Personally I like the stuff but I can understand why many don’t.

I’m with you on tofu…

Fairly common, in my experience of wedding cake (admittedly not that extensive but I’d say fairly typical of middle-class British weddings).

Depending on how ambitious your cake-maker is, the icing has to be/ends up being horrendously thick and strong (at least on the lower tiers - hopefully the top is a bit less armoured so the couple can actually cut the thing).

Add to that the fact that for most couples what they are interested in isn’t the taste of the cake but the look (and the price) and you end up with some very strange ‘cakes’.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.