Hundred-year-old fruitcake found in Antarctica is in "excellent condition"

I’m not a huge fan of miso in the first place, so that’s not a problem.

3 Likes

Miso soup in restaurants is always terrible.

It is far better made at home. Essentially works like any other kind of soup base. A few spoons and hot water. Works well with most veggies, bits of meat, or small sea creatures

3 Likes

Man fruit cake, i’ve had various kinds over the years and never found one i liked but i have had some good rum cake. They’re fairly similar or related cakes but i think that you’ll have more success finding good rum cake than fruit cake.

Now about your listed foods:

I really like liver but it’s one of those things that is best left as an odd, once in a blue moon type of meal. But i really like it, i couldn’t even tell you why. I was an extremely picky child, hated most veggies, most cuts of meats, did not like chicken on the bone or with skin, etc, etc. And for whatever reason i love liver but i’m aware that the taste and texture is very peculiar.

Meatloaf i have no strong feelings on, it’s basically a giant meatball. But i’ve had really mediocre meatloaf and really good ones.

Beets i love. Hell yea beets. I don’t know if there’s a particular variety that is commonly used in the US but i find them to be a bit more meaty and slightly sweeter tasting than what i was used to in Venezuela. I still like it but i feel like i’m having a vegan BBQ type dish, it’s the closest thing i can describe it as.

Tofu i also have no real feelings on, it’s like Jello. No taste, no real texture. It just exists.

3 Likes

I have had exquisitely made miso soup but it seems that 99% of what one finds at most places is really disappointing or barely passable. I always get it if its included with the meal because i use it to gauge how good or bad a Japanese restaurant is.

2 Likes

That’s the real irony; I love rum cake; have ever since I lived in the U.S.V.I. for a couple years…

2 Likes

OMG. I couldn’t put my finger on it for years - but now I just realized who Elon Musk has always reminded me of.

1 Like

Couldn’t it also be that in a permafrost region, stuff barely decays?

100 year-old fruit cake? Noobs!

5 Likes

Yes indeed! I was also thinking of the prep that ensured that the right amount of booze was used to saturate the cake. It apparently kept it from becoming a dried-out cake brick, even with the tin developing a hole or two. That the cake smelled like anything but rusty tin after all those years in the deep freeze seemed to indicate that some good-quality preservative had been at work along with the extreme cold.

[EDIT: My apologies, I now see that I was assuming without evidence that this fruitcake was of the alcohol-saturated variety. In realizing this error I did however, find possible support for something else that could hold up to the deep-freeze-drying of Antarctica and then still supply a bit of moisture to make the thing smell like something after all this time: buttah!:

Little rum for the cake.

Little rum for the cook.

2 Likes
1 Like

So… no honey? Or granulated sugar?

Fruitcake keeps out of largely wholesome reasons (it’s dry: lack of moisture (the M in FAT TOM) is really the big thing when it comes to things that last damn near forever). It’s not like it is a horrifying mass of chemicals or anything. Microbes would love to eat it, if only you’d soak it in some water first. Then it’d spoil pretty damn quickly.

Twinkies are a mass of horrifying chemicals, as it happens, but their shelf life is terrible. They go stale and rancid within about a month, I think I’ve been told.

1 Like

Two words: Dwarf bread.

2 Likes

Are you single? In this case, I’m not even going to be picky about gender or age. I just want you to make me fruitcakes for the rest of my natural life.

2 Likes

26 days after baking, most bread around here would have about a 20-day growth of multicolored fuzz. Does the rum prevent the mold, or does the cake also need special storage (refrigerated, frozen, tucked away in an Egyptian pyramid)?

The texture’s what I like about it. Mainly that it doesn’t have that rubbery stringy fibrous texture with clots of blood, gristle, and bone that unprocessed meat does. It’s not a great texture, but comparatively it’s a win. And it’s soft and simple, doesn’t get stuck in the teeth.

That’s a thing. The way that we perceive tastes is actually different. Typically people who like things like bell peppers and onions usually dislike things like squash and sweet potatoes and vice-versa. There are more examples, but I can’t remember them and have no idea where I read about it. But I thought that it explained a lot about why some people believed that nasty things tasted good while not liking good things.

I have a fridge magnet that says

I cook with wine.
Sometimes I even add it to the food.

1 Like

MRE - three lies for the price of one.

Around 40 or so. Half of them sound to the layman as if they could be weaponized.

I would guess there are overlapping reasons. Genetics might be a factor. I remember learning in school that there is a receptor for bitter taste, for example. I think the same idea was taught in neurobiology lectures when I started my studies. More recently, I picked up somewhere that current studies already identified the genetic basis for 22 different receptors. Which makes perfect sense to me as a botanist.

1 Like