Hundreds of thousands of Atari cartr—wait, Beanie Ba—sorry, Funko Pops headed to the landfill

Thank U GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

I knew if posted a vague thing someone would remember…

4 Likes

I’ve clearly read far too much of Cory’s blog. :wink:

3 Likes

I probably could have googled it, but I’m far too lazy! And besides, I knew my fellow mutants would provide! :grimacing:

2 Likes

Oh I’m sure it is. Probably thousands of percent. That doesn’t explain why they keep making them if they aren’t selling.

I didn’t say they should be just-in-time. I said maybe they should throttle back a little sooner than “all warehouses full and now we’re going into debt to rent shipping containers in the parking lot”.

I’m no Business Guy, but it seems like stopping making the thing that isn’t selling is a reasonable thing to do.

2 Likes

The story reminds me of this, but in this rare case, the NFL industry has the high moral ground.

3 Likes

B-b-b-but isn’t this what ebay’s for?!

2 Likes

I guess I’m the only one here who actually likes Pops. I don’t have a big collection or anything (it has to be something I’m really into in order to get one), I get that the aesthetic may not be for everyone, and this story is pretty shitty. It’s not necessary to shit on those of us who like them, though.

6 Likes

I like them too! :smile: I only have one, and it’s of, well, me. A company I worked for had custom ones made of us as an award for a thing. Anyways, I actually like them too. I think they’re cute.

7 Likes

Speaking in recycling…

5 Likes

Sadly recycling is pretty much the biggest lie in the western world right now. Other than aluminum, steel, glass, and some paper, nothing else is practical, useful, or cost effective to recycle. It makes us all feel good to put stuff in the blue bin instead of the black one, but it’s all going in the landfill now anyway. About the best option for plastics and complex manufactured goods like shoes is plasma incineration for power generation. That’s pretty efficient and low carbon, but the facilities for that are not widespread. Just a few pilot projects in a couple of countries, I believe.

5 Likes

Ladies and Gentlemen; We have achieved peak Funko Pops! [Wait for applause]

I don’t have any, but I don’t mind the aesthetic. If one came around of someone I really admire, I would probably buy it. The problem is, those tend not to be people from pop culture.

ETA: Follow-up - #1376 by Doctor_Faustus

1 Like

Mmmm, nope, under the bus.

If they artfully found a way to get away from PVC, then they’ll be spared being speedbumps.

It’s hard, I know, I’ve done it, but pvc as applied in consumer goods is evil.

1 Like

People who don’t have any other choice:

(and idiots)

1 Like

Prior to China ceasing the mass import of recyclables from western countries in 2018, most of the plastic we all put in recycle bins was likely burned.

People like to think everything they put in the blue bin is magically recycled, including plastic. It’s a very convenient liberal guilt dodge. However what was actually happening was China was buying all that trash, then outsourcing the “recycling” of it to small contractors in poor parts of their own country, or in places like Bangladesh. Nobody asked any questions about how those contractors were “recycling” stuff, and in large part it was simply burned for heat and fuel by the locals. Being an international supply chain, there was no accountability on any of this and western countries certainly didn’t want to ask any questions.

Now that China has stopped buying our trash en masse, mostly stuff you put in the blue bin goes in the landfill. There are some exceptions. Aluminum, glass, and ferrous metals are still cost effective to recycle locally, so companies here are doing that. Some types of paper as well. That’s it. Municipalities are maintaining the fiction of collecting everything in the bins in the hopes that the supply chain will come back because a lot has been invested in training us all to sort our trash.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.