Hungary: Coronavirus law lets PM Viktor Orbán rule by decree, threatens 5 years in prison for 'misinformation' spreaders

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/31/hungary-coronavirus-law-lets.html

2 Likes

Make no mistake, right-wing populist regimes worldwide are going to take advantage of the public health crisis to consolidate their power. Opportunism is in the nature of fascist scorpions like Orban.

12 Likes

I can almost hear the rusty wheels turning in Trump’s head from here. He has a majority for the moment that wouldn’t even find him guilty for the things he’s clearly guilty of doing. It’s the perfect environment for him to join his peers in seizing absolute power.

3 Likes

“If we give Trump unlimited power for life, he will grasp the magnitude of his responsibilities and rise to the occasion.” - Republican Moderates.

10 Likes

This morning I heard on the news that the EU had declared emergency measures could not last indefinitely or be open-ended. Now I suddenly understand why.

3 Likes

History does not repeat itself…

… but it rhymes.

3 Likes

This won’t end well.

In fact it might not end at all.

5 Likes

Clear words by Matteo Renzi:

4 Likes

Orbán didn’t even need a fake crisis to get his Enabling Act.

Oh, and right-wing conspiracy theorists, don’t forget that George Soros is (still) the bad guy, not Victor Orbán.

He just has to suspend that Constitution he loves so much…

[Uh, for people not in on the joke, Megan Amram has tweeted this every day since 2017.]

4 Likes

The EU has no mechanism to expel misbehaving member states. Otherwise Greece would be long gone – and the Brits could have saved themselves a lot of grief over Brexit by simply declaring someone (hopefully not Boris Johnson) dictator.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.