Mass protests and parliamentary chaos in Hungary over "slave labour" law

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/14/magyar-kangaroo-courts.html

5 Likes

I didn’t know Ross Perot did business in Hungary.

3 Likes

The Arrow Cross Party didn’t work out so well for Hungry the first time. It’s 2.0, the Fidesz Party, won’t be any better for them.

10 Likes

“We have to remove bureaucratic rules so that those who want to work and earn more can do so”

That never gets old, does it.

29 Likes

The key word is “want”, which doesn’t sound to me like it accurately reflects the law.

6 Likes

I find this footage terrifying. The smooth, elegant, pretending-to-be slightly-bored-&-amused face of fascism.

10 Likes

What’s funny is: they have a labor shortage, but don’t want labor coming form other countries.I feel like every politician who wants closed borders wants them so we can’t leave when shit like this happens.

16 Likes

you ment so we can’t leave right?

2 Likes

Hungary has been patient zero for the wave of authoritarian nationalism that is washing across the world. I wonder if Putin has been behind Órban and Fidesz since they turned towards this consistent policy of hollowing out democracy in favor of “soft Fascism.”

7 Likes

Thanks @doctorow for the coverage of events happening in Hungary.

Index is live streaming the protests right now, watch here: https://index.hu/belfold/2018/12/14/eloben_kozvetitjuk_az_osszellenzeki_tuntetest_a_kossuth_terrol/

They also have a pretty good summary of the events in English leading up to now:https://index.hu/english/2018/12/14/protests_hungary_budapest_slave_law_overtime_judicial_independence_parliament_police_clashes/

4 Likes

JFC… you know what else could help fill labour shortages? immigrants.

7 Likes

those who want to work and earn more can do so

and defer payment for this overtime by three years.

Umm… isn’t that “those who want to work and NOT earn more?”

7 Likes

Right-wing populist followers are such suckers, thinking that their leaders ever saw them as anything more than peons.

The interesting thing going on in Hungary is that Orban – in contrast to old-school fascists – is letting dissidents leave by using free movement within the EU as a bleeder valve. Those who leave tend to be highly educated and young, so this attempt to reduce pressure from political opponents its causing a brain drain.

7 Likes

Well they can’t do anything about EU citizens coming in to potentially take those jobs, but nobody cares to do so because wages are higher in other countries and of course Hungary is turning into a fascist hellhole. I wouldn’t want to live there even if you paid me double. Also the language is weird.

1 Like

I wonder if the protestors organized on Facebook. Maybe the Russians are behind this?

That seems to pass for analysis these days.

6 Likes

Forcing people to do unpaid labor?

Saying we need to get rid of bureaucracy so that people who want to work more can work more?

I want to see that entire country as a pitchfork wielding mob with flaming torches- show up at Orban’s doorstep. Make him work perpetual overtime to fix the country he has crippled and broke. He doesn’t get to sleep or they jab him with the pitchforks. If he doesn’t do his job and accepts no pay until three years later they burn his things as inverse payment.

Make him realize what hell life can be for the people he oppresses, and he will change his tune, or they will change it for him. Problem solved democracy in action, Ben Franklin style.

These autocratic fascist bastards need to go.

5 Likes

Goulash-Facism?

You can only hope for 3/4 at best. The rest will instead show up with sweets and gifts, thanking him for allowing them this glorious opportunity to demonstrate their work ethic to their bosses.

5 Likes

Orban got elected in a perfectly normal way, the majority of voters there really do support him. If you get more than half I’d be very surprised.

2 Likes

one of the better vox articles i’ve ever read and still pertinent to the discussion today-- https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/13/17823488/hungary-democracy-authoritarianism-trump

1 Like