Hunters in Washington state arrested for chasing and shooting at two Australian firefighters

They could tell the Australians were actually government agents because every flat-earther knows that Australia is a hoax.

12 Likes

O_o WTF?

Makes me wonder if they were less hunters and more “got a patch of premo shit to protect.”

6 Likes

Pot is legal in Washington state.

13 Likes

FTA, “The incident, which involved two Australians and two local officers, led to the arrest of the two hunters.

4 Likes

As long as we’re speculating I am going to say that being as the incident took place up near the border with the Yakima Indian Reservation, high up in the Cascade Mountains where the huckleberry fields yield succulent fruit. A crop that is maintained by judicious use of wildfire. Maybe the Yakima First Nations’ people heard it from the Australian Aboriginals that a bunch of government white devils were going to destroy their delicious ancestral huckleberry bushes.

BTW what reputable news source says White Pass, WA is “close” to armed takeover location Malhuer Wildlife Refuge? The two locations are 777km distant from each other, that’s “close”?

3 Likes

I live a bit north of the area, and just last Friday the nurse at my doctors office and I were joking about not driving down into that area. She’s black, and my spouse and I are very apparently trans, so we were making jokes about how folks down there are aggressively backwoods about people that “don’t belong.”

12 Likes

My pre-coffee eyes missed that. Thank you. So strange the article posted didn’t have names and photos. I don’t think I missed that. [sips coffee] I better go re-check…

… Nope.

Maybe still deciding between lone wolf or good father angle.

6 Likes

Hmm so I was curious, and for large game there were only two possible in season hunting right now, elk and bear, and those are only in certain areas. One would have to cross reference where this happened with the hunting district maps to see if they might have been poaching.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/summary_hunting_dates.html

1 Like

That doesn’t mean you can just grow it anywhere, all willy-nilly.

2 Likes

I was mulling on this. Thirty plus years ago I knew a few different growers. They all grew on public lands and expected the majority of their crops to be found. They didn’t own guns or make traps. In fact if you stumbled on one of their patches you might think it was just wild growing weed. I recall one year one guy only harvested about 10% of his crop and was able to travel around the world for about 5 years.

These guys were neither militant nor gangsters. They just really liked weed and were good at growing it. I’ve lost contact with them all but would guess at least some of them got involved with the medical and recreational industries. They never liked the criminal element of their enterprises.

If everyone like I knew (a small subset for sure) jumped into the legal industries as they came up I wonder if that caused a shift in the demographic of illegal growers to more typically criminally minded folk and more open to violence to protect the profits? As long as other states still designate it as illegal there is still a lot of profit to be made by people Ok with risk.

9 Likes

My first guess is the firefighters witnessed something the hunters were doing that was illegal enough to warrant murder to cover it up. The article mentions anti-government militias in passing but doesn’t actually say that was the impetus for attempted murder. (Not that I’m forgiving of sovereign citizen douchebags, just that it seems speculative.)

4 Likes

Meth heads.

They think the cops and firefighters are out to get them.

5 Likes

Pot is legal and there’s a lot of money in legit distribution.

Meth on the other hand is a lot more explodey shooty.

10 Likes

Australia has more restrictive gun laws than the US, and most Aussies support them.

5 Likes

Well that’s basically my point; even the other countries that had historically similar gun cultures to the United States are lightyears ahead of us on firearm regulation today.

When the other cowboys start getting worried about your “yippie-ki-yay motherfucker!” routine then it’s time to recognize that you might have a problem.

11 Likes

I checked, and Australians are definitely out of season!

11 Likes

In terms of the Oz bush, that probably is “close”.

9 Likes

It was bear:

Washington State Patrol troopers found the men, who turned out to be hunters who were after a bear, Yakima County sheriff’s spokesman Casey Schilperoort said Friday. Troopers told the men to take the bear they had shot and leave the area, Schilperoort said.

3 Likes

By about six months (if one subscribes to the controversial “spherical planet” hypothesis).

7 Likes

If they were pot growers I would think they would welcome the firefighters with open arms. “Please save our pot farm from burning!”

1 Like