Hunters in Washington state arrested for chasing and shooting at two Australian firefighters

They tend to be rather gamey. All that Vegemite makes it taste funny.

So if these are the same hunters, it may turn out they didn’t shoot AT the firemen, but shooting with them in the area?

1 Like

The first reports were essentially that –

Two men were seen shooting in the area of the Miriam Fire on Thursday afternoon, near where firefighters were working, authorities said. . . .
No firefighters were hurt in the incident, said Pam Sichting, spokeswoman for the Type 2 incident management team handling the fire 2 miles east of the White Pass Ski Area. She did not know if the men were targeting firefighters or were shooting at something else in the area.

1 Like

True. But there are people that grow it in the woods or homes in operations for export or to sell ‘illegally’ outside of commercial channels. Foresters being shot at for getting to close to grow operations is old news. https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/washington-is-breaking-promise-to-keep-illegal-pot-in-check/

1 Like

From the Yakima Herald a day after the incident:

“Two men were seen in the closed area firing rifles in the direction of firefighters, stopping firefighting operations in the ski area and forcing the evacuation of firefighters, officials said Thursday. Washington State Patrol troopers found the men, who turned out to be hunters who were after a bear, Yakima County sheriff’s spokesman Casey Schilperoort said Friday. Troopers told the men to take the bear they had shot and leave the area, Schilperoort said.”

This probably has nothing whatsoever to do with militia.

1 Like

Won’t they be surprised when the men turn out to be Putin and a couple of Russian oligarchs testing the waters for their new TV show.

I mean, Trump said it was okay, right?

2 Likes

Several other outlets had less… measured… headlines.

1 Like

Plus – correct me if I’m wrong – I think they’re still in season.

It’s interesting to notice that they mention the Bundy’s several times in the Age article. From the outside, the United States looks like this insane place with armed rebels that will shoot at you while you are trying to stop fires and save lives. Go figure…

1 Like

Those are not hunters. They sound more like psychos who happen to be hunting.
purtymouth

That’s just next door, really.

Frontiersman yes, rifle-totin’ not so much.

Ever see Crocodile Dundee? The scene where drunken kangaroo-hunters are hooning around in the dark, before Mick scares them off by making it look as if one of the kangaroos has a gun?

AFAIAA, that’s the only time he touches a gun in the whole movie. And the portrayal of the drunken hunters is representative of what most Australians think about gun-fetishists.

The Oz attitude to guns is best summarised as: they’re serious tools for serious work, and anyone who treats them like toys is a fucking idiot.

5 Likes

Unless they’e going to make bear meat jerky. Send snacks!

To be fair, being shot at by armed lunatics for trespassing isn’t exactly newsworthy in rural America. It’s happened to me more than once, both growing up in rural Oregon, and turning down the wrong driveway once in Northern California pot country.

2 Likes

Doubtful. It’s legal here.

Well, they are alive so we know they are white.

But the U.S is in the opposite hemisphere, so of course everything’s the opposite there.

1 Like

Its an Australian article so its possible Fairfax did most of the journalism. They would get the story but photos (and possibly names) would have to come from a local source.

1 Like

Firefighters, the most dangerous game!

I’m guessing Threepers and Oaf Creepers, not “hunters”, or at least not hunters who obey game laws.

Never ceases to amaze me that not a single domestic gun owner has ever used their weapon to fight domestic tyranny, if you know what I mean.

2 Likes

The kind of person who should not have a gun?

5 Likes