Hurricane Beryl hits category 5

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/02/hurricane-beryl-hits-category-5.html

11 Likes

ron burgundy GIF

19 Likes

Global warming and climate change aren’t coming; they’re already here. And like an increasingly out-of-control rager, they’re going to wreck the joint. Please vote responsibly.

28 Likes

Like so many things climate related, the recent findings look like they are coming from a different planet. Because, in many ways, they are. We are in a new climate regime, one which the fascist assholes cannot outlaw or deny. It just is. And it’s getting worse.

37 Likes

Better break out the Sharpies.

9 Likes

Once again, the Chinese government pulls out all the stops when it comes to hoaxing. /s

3 Likes

Stay safe people! As safe as possible, at least.

18 Likes
2 Likes

@FloridaManJefe

How are you doing over there?
I know Beryl is well south of you.

The future ain’t what it used to be.
Climate breakdown is punking everything, gradually and then all at once.

13 Likes
11 Likes
12 Likes

frankly, we’re worried about this season. we almost fully expect a severe storm to hit us this year.
as i’ve mentioned, we are stocked with non-perishable foods, bottled water, propane for the generator and for a small cookstove, emergency radio and solar charger.
still, it’s frightening, even when we know what it’s like (Irma, in September, '17 and tropical storm Eta, in November '19). but those storms were late in the season. this new development of a very early cat 5, is more than a little concerning.
thanks for asking.
everyone on the Atlantic and Gulf coast should be very concerned. stay safe, everyone!

17 Likes

I hear you.

I have been in similar circumstances, just more related to wildfires and freezing weather with no power. A lot of the items on your list, I have on-hand, including canned milk. Am out of instant coffee though, so thanks for the reminder…

So hang tight, please, and keep breathing. Catch you on the flipside of this one.

And yeah, it looks like it’s gonna be one helluva season, this one.

Luck Fingers Crossed GIF by The Great Pottery Throw Down

6 Likes
5 Likes

Half our staff at work are Jamaican. Yesterday was a rough day, and I’m expecting today isn’t going to be much better. Lotta people around me worried about their homes and families.

7 Likes

https://www.axios.com/2024/07/05/hurricane-beryl-texas-yucatan-peninsula

Tropical Storm Beryl’s increasing threat to Texas

Forecasts for Hurricane Beryl, currently down to tropical storm status over the northern Yucatan Peninsula, put Texas in the crosshairs of a storm that has defied the odds for days.

Why it matters: While storm track forecasts for Tropical Storm Beryl have been extremely accurate, intensity projections have consistently been off target, showing too little intensification and missing a round of strengthening shortly before it came ashore near Tulum, Mexico, on Monday morning.

Also, depending on the storm’s structure once it emerges back over water in the Gulf of Mexico, it is likely to re-intensify. There is a possibility it does so rapidly, ratcheting up from a Category 1 to a Category 2 or 3 storm on Sunday into early Monday.

7 Likes