'Hush' is the best 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' episode

Yep, the musical was right up there with the Angel episode “Smile Time” where Angel gets turned into a puppet.

6 Likes

I always liked those villains (I believe they’re called “The Gentlemen”). There’s a whole folkloric backstory implied with the costumes, the teeth, the straight-jacketed servants, the rhyme, but in the end it’s left a mystery. Really well written and well implemented.

4 Likes

Anthony Head actually played Frankenfurter in some revival of The Rocky Horror Show. I believe clips can be found on YouTube. He’s got a wonderful set of pipes.

4 Likes

I believe that most, if not all of the actors who played The Gentlemen were trained mimes, which is why just their movements are creepy.

3 Likes

You misspelled “Once more with feeling.”

Bored now.

2 Likes

Arguable, sure. But I’d say Once More With Feeling is better.
Not only is it the only musical I’m aware of where everyone has a totally 100% legit reason for singing and dancing, it has some SERIOUS story line implications. Hush, however, is pretty much just a standalone episode.

4 Likes

Agree. That, I think, is the best of all. :smiley:

1 Like

(TLDW: patient has a brain tumour that makes them perceive normal events as if they were in a musical)

7 Likes

Of course “The Body”, but some others I really liked are “Normal Again”, which was supremely unnerving, and “Selfless”, which started a total laugh riot and went into the final commercial break with a scene that made your blood run cold.

There’s about 10 or so episodes that legitimately make me tear up. I love that show. I’ve seen the whole thing through about 20 times. It makes me feel like I have friends.

4 Likes

Mine too. I watched the series a long long time ago, but this is the one episode I remember most clearly.

The Zeppo is like that. You have to already be familiar with what is being deconstructed to appreciate it.

What’s a good “typical” episode to hook someone who has somehow never watched the greatest tv show ever? I’ve been urging my sister to watch Buffy with her high school aged daughter for a few years now, but I think she’s intimidated by 7 seasons.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think The Wish is the best episode of the show for people familiar with the characters, and a definite prerequisite for Doppelgangland. Hush is the best otherwise— scary, smart, and funny.

2 Likes

Buffy is the closest thing I have to a religion, having watched every episode probably two dozen times at this point. I think season seven is vastly underrated. It has three of the best Buffy Speeches of the entire show, and the mechanics of The First meant that every interaction turned into a deep character study of the victim in that scene. It also really went deep on the whole allegory of slayer-potential-as-female-empowerment that subtexted the entire show (but was mostly only flirted with until then).

That said, season 5’s season finale still brings a tear every single time. The emotional high point of the series, for me.

2 Likes

Like picking out the Dr Who episode ‘Blink’, which is just outstanding, but doesn’t really explain what the show is about, or give any significant backstory.

2 Likes

What you did there! I see it. :grin:

1 Like
1 Like

That’s funny. Last time I tried to re-watch Angel I couldn’t get past the second season. Angel has some amazing stuff but it’s really uneven. The whole Connor thing was excruciating.

2 Likes

[pedant]
gigantic aneurysm in her temporal lobe
[/pedant]

And the “Everything comes down to poo” song is a gift to mankind.

2 Likes

Much and all as I still love Buffy (and ‘The Body’ remains probably the best depiction of losing a loved one that’s ever been aired on genre t.v.), I kinda went off Joss Whedon’s stuff after his appalling treatment of Charisma Carpenter on Angel season 4.

3 Likes

I was late to the Buffy game. The Body was the first episode I saw. I had recently lost my best friend and the episode felt unbelievably real. Alyson Hannigan and Emma Caulfield were especially amazing.

3 Likes