“Once More With 'Once More, With Feeling,'” is a musical about watching the musical episode of “Buffy"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/03/10/once-more-with-once-more-with-feeling-is-a-musical-about-watching-the-musical-episode-of-buffy.html

5 Likes

“Once More, With Feeling.”

OK, you asked for it!

3 Likes

My lockdown watching with my 12yr old daughter! I’m looking forward to her listening to this with me.

The song titles alone tell me I’m going to enjoy it. And I’m listening to it now.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to "Commentary on ‘Commentary: The Musical’: The Musical’.

2 Likes

I’ll be posting a YouTube reaction video later. Will that do for you?

1 Like

Wow. Meta much?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say this episode is infamous; it was acclaimed. Famous, maybe.

5 Likes

But did they get the mustard out?

3 Likes

Also worth noting is that Jenny Owen Youngs additionally co-hosts a Veronica Mars recap podcast, Veronica Mars Investigations, with Helen Zaltzman of the Allusionist podcast. If you like Veronica Mars, which broadly falls into a similar ouvre as Buffy, their podcast is worth it.

1 Like

This is the content I am here for. I love everything about this. As someone who has seen the Buffy musical more times than I care to admit, owns a bootleg of the CD version before it was released officially, then bought the official one, then bought the limited re-release on vinyl with the commemorative jacket… well… I’m a fan. I don’t even own a record player. The vinyl is just a art.

Honestly, the bootleg of the album that came out before the official one is a better edit. The official one cut out a lot of the lead-ins and you can’t hear most the side jokes.

This is how I found her, and yes, that podcast is excellent. I was actually disappointed that they grouped episodes in season 3 because I love the podcast so much.

6 Likes

Same here. I get that they didn’t enjoy the season, which is reasonable because it’s unquestionably the worst, but that just gives them more to talk about for each episode! Plus 3 a week made it harder for me to keep up.

1 Like

Turns out, that’s the only Buffy episode that I’ve ever even seen part of, due to an unrelated search on Hinton Battle:

5 Likes

I was also mildly disappointed when they “made the show more positive”. It sounds like they got a lot of feedback about being too snarky and critical, but the tone was always from a place of love and it was entertaining. If you can see all the flaws in something and still love it, that’s true love. :grinning:

2 Likes

If you had to pick one GIF-length clip of the entire seven season run to see, that’s a good one. :grinning:

4 Likes

I hadn’t heard that! That’s not mildly disappointing to me. That’s extremely disappointing. People really ought to stop being so precious about TV shows and learn to laugh about things they love.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.