I am keeping this season's sourdough starter in a tulip jar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/20/i-am-keeping-this-seasons-sourdough-starter-in-a-tulip-jar.html

4 Likes

Fun fact: the Weck company was so successful and ubiquitous in Germany that their name has become a verb in the form of a generic eponym (like to google or to xerox something).

“Einwecken” simply means to jar.

8 Likes

8 Likes

I have a pair of the large Adams peanut butter jars that I rotate between, when the rim of the current one gets a little too crusty. The straight sides are easier to work with and they are a good size, allowing for good expansion.

It might be more common knowledge than I was aware of but drying some of your successes for inoculating a new iteration or sharing without the mess of a live starter has been a win. I have a little jar of powdered starter I can draw on if something goes wrong or if someone wants to give it a try.

4 Likes

some day, some day i will have beautiful Weck jars. until then, here i reside in Ball and Mason jar land, looking up at the stars.

5 Likes

I’ve been using a Ball Jar but I don’t really like the mason jar lids for sourdough. This looks like a better solution. For me, I pulled from my multi-pack of different sized silicone stretch lids which have been a godsend. (The largest one fits perfectly over a kitchenaid bowl and since I use that appliance rarely, this keeps out any bits from the pantry or wherever else I’m storing it, so I don’t have to wash out the bowl again before using it.) For the sourdough, it clings to the jar but pressure can also build up and burp, whereas with the mason jar lid I’m always double checking to see if I left it loose, but tight enough not to fly off if someone decides to lift it by the lid. There’s no denying that the tulip jar is prettier.

4 Likes

Thanks for the leads and prompt to start baking again.
I have a large weck that I use for fermenting ingredients for hot sauce.

1 Like

There’s a song in there and I’d suggest you use the Weking Crew musicians :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.