"I am starting to regret my vote for Trump" ad featuring comedian David Cross

In the simplest terms possible?

Yes, we have been moving forward on social issues. Yes, the larger majority of Americans lean to the more liberal side, and yes, that percentage has been steadily growing. Yes, you are absolutely right- but also missing a couple overwhelmingly important things.

The first is that while we’ve been making social gains, we’ve suffered incredible economic losses. We can talk about the rising cost of living, stagnant wages, and the failure of trickle down economics, but such polite terms don’t do justice to the hard truth of it: Find me one example, anywhere in the course of recorded history, just one example, of a society that reached even close to this level of wealth disparity and didn’t quickly suffer a revolution, civil war, or collapse. Because I haven’t found one. Once in a great while, you get an FDR New Deal or Renaissance kind of revolution, but more often it’s the bloody kind.

The second thing is that while the portion of citizens who aren’t down with social progress have been growing fewer in number, they have also been radicalizing. The important thing to consider with that is that radicalizing doesn’t just mean cults and suicide bombers. It the Senate majority leader openly declaring his sole goal is to stop anything the opposition supports. It’s creating an ecosystem where a person can meet all their media needs by reading exclusively Christian authors, listening to Christian music, watching Christian broadcasting. It’s increasingly vitriolic rhetoric, and the escalation of small absurdities into large atrocities. It’s moving from Limbaugh to Glen Beck to Q Anon.

And most importantly, it’s the deliberate use of the first part to facilitate the second part.

“Hate” is a convenient scapegoat for self interest and apathy, and the economics of it are far more relevant than people ever admit. The overwhelming majority of Germans didn’t care enough about the Jews to hate them. They just wanted Hitler to lower taxes and bring the jobs back. There are a whole lot of Trump voters out there who don’t hate black people, they just care less about them than they care about the immediate problem of paying rent this month. Blacks collecting welfare while they work two jobs just to keep food on the table; Jews running the banks while Germans struggle to pay back war debts. We’ve seen exactly how this plays out when someone is pushed beyond their limits and then given somebody to blame for it. All it takes at that point is for someone to promise them a solution.

I terrifies me how few people saw this happening.

10 Likes

Makes sense, except it’s also tough, and probably impossible, to also find one that has been as staunchly individualistic as the U.S. is.

True, we’re also tribalistic, and thus led to hate others, but when it comes to why anyone is poor, most of us blame the individual for not working hard enough, for failing to make the best of their opportunities, and so on, instead of blaming the wealth hoarders.

I don’t know if you mean to imply that as in other societies with disgusting wealth gaps, something akin to a revolution is neigh. I’m saying I don’t think it is, because most of us aren’t blaming our continually lowered circumstances on the wealth hoarders (as of course we should be). We’re mostly blaming ourselves.

7 Likes

The wealth gap does push hard towards upheaval and violence. Most people tend to be conservative (in the self-preservation sense) when they have enough to survive on, and will be hesitant to do anything to rock the boat or take personal risks, out of concern of losing what they have (or endangering their loved ones). However, at some point, people will find that they are barely scraping by, or no longer even scraping by, and most of what they had has been stripped away, they don’t really have economic security, or personal safety, and they don’t have much left to protect, and it becomes a “what do I have to lose” scenario. Once the risks and dangers of taking a violent stand (or turning towards violent crime) become less than the risks of continuing with the status quo, violence and/or revolution are inevitable, unless the powers-that-be recognize it and take drastic steps to curb or reverse the downward spiral (such as the New Deal). The only question at that point is if it turns into political movement (revolution or New Deal) or if it turns into anarchy, dictatorship, or warlord-ism (Nazi Germany, various banana republics).

Trump [Putin] is betting that he can take control Hitler-style by convincing enough white supremacists (and ordinary whites who have simply become desperate to survive in the crumbling society) to follow him and ignore any other authority, by blaming all the problems on the brown people (and telling them “boy wouldn’t life be great if we got rid of all those freeloaders who are ruining everything for the Real ™ Americans?”) And quite frankly it certainly looks like he’s been pretty successful at that. This country doesn’t mean much without rule-of-law and the constitution, and he’s been extremely effective at defying/degrading both, with no complaints from any other branches of government (aside from some ineffective exclamations of dismay from some of the democrats).

4 Likes

I’m reasonably convinced @Flossaluzitarin is a bot.

4 Likes

Making us less inclined to take out our anger by bombing a bank than we are to take out our guilt and frustration by shooting up a schoolyard.

Whatever nightmare scenario comes next, I don’t see it involving two sides wearing coordinated uniforms.

6 Likes

Find me one example, anywhere in the course of recorded history, just one example, of a society that reached even close to this level of wealth disparity and didn’t quickly suffer a revolution, civil war, or collapse.

Bread and circuses. The poorest in all the other examples didn’t have tv, cell phones, the internet, inexepensive (unhealthy) mass produced food, low-cost government housing, etc., etc. The US has been a science project of just how much appeasement is enough to stave off upheaval while keeping people as poor as possible.

Now, in the coming months, if there are mass evictions, financial collapse of minumum wage jobs, billions in payroll taxes that need to be repaid… we could teeter over the brink almost instantly.

5 Likes

I think you’re both right. Unfortunately, we have a system that can be easily hijacked by relatively few, so even though most of us are at least trying to move past the old bullshit, there will always be a few trying to drag us back.

5 Likes

If you’re gonna do oracle gatekeeping, at least show how the moaning and slipping in and out of glossolalia is done? [Tucks away ‘Greased Lightning’ crit./pastie.]

gracchus> …GOP was just going to keep finding worse and more stupid and ignorant candidates to run going forward.

[Stops putting elephant tranquilizer into nail polish:] To new frontiers! NROFF! no that’s not it…er, MUFFIN!

8 Likes

Trumpism has metastasized to QAnon. They were listed as a far right domestic terror group by the FBI, but have subsequently been embraced by a number of GOP congresspeople. (14 members are running on the GOP ticket for Congress!) They are largely Evangelical, thus the GOP won’t consider distancing itself for fear of antagonizing the base. I wasn’t able to use the link but NBC (+ MSNBC) have done some excellent investigative work about them.

The rot began with Nixon and it leads directly to Trump. Yes, Reagan & Bush figure prominently in that lineage. The GOP has been misogynist, homophobic, racist, anti-science, anti-education anti-reality for years. The Birchers were once outliers, but the GOP platform is a reconstituted John Birch Society Christmas list (circa 1960’s.)

When such a large slice of the population doesn’t agree on a shared reality it’s indicative that the Republic is in a death spiral.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.