I can not honestly say I remember "Spice Up Your Life"

It’s like the amalgam of Blade Runner, Jupiter Ascending, and Dark City were invaded by the Goth Bugaloos

…and I approve.

7 Likes

They had some catchy tunes. Well made (if bland/boring) producers-pop. I myself do remember the spice up your life video (also from gay bars by the way, a friend of mine had just admitted to himself he was gay, but he was a bit scared to go to gay bars alone. The result was I frequented lots of gay bars the years following because the atmosphere was much more relaxed than in the ‘normal’ discos). I don’t remember this one though.

What I did like about the spice girls was how they were formed as a classical producers project, but then went on to separate themselves from the producers who formed them to go their own way. They didn’t let themselves get suckered into abusive contracts like most producer started groups.

3 Likes

sidenote: this has been happening a lot lately. people using boomer in unusual ways. so what would be a boomer to you…

random disses:

nothing says success like the bland remnants of the British Empire trying to sound as latino as possible.

because it would be kitschy, aspirational, and ‘life goals’, their marketing team decided it would be fun to have all the brands on the billboards be spice girl derivatives. this establishes them as a corporate juggernaut. how that gels with them driving around trying to spread joy to the common man I’ll never know, you know, except perhaps on the same level as pepsi solving a riot. EDIT: I also like how not a single person smiles or is phased in any way by their antics.

as they fly they flail at the controls expecting the FX team to put them in a fast moving ship but then the video has the ship fly with the slow plodding movements of a Zamboni. that and the Rebels but corporate angle makes me wonder what their team of handlers where thinking.

1 Like

As I allegedly recall, '97 was indeed mostly hallucinations. Regardless, I prefer the more old school approach:

2 Likes

Bit of Fifth Element there too.

btw nobody mention Mel A.

1 Like

Sadly A failed in a most spectacular way:

2 Likes

I don’t think this is a very good song.

2 Likes
1 Like

Not one of them would pass the Voight-Kampff Test.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I remember it well, and it’s still a decent pop song. But Who Do You Think You Are is better.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.