Spice World, postmodern masterpiecce

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/24/spice-world-postmodern-master.html

3 Likes

For some further insight into this film artifact be sure and listen to the “How Did This Get Made?” episode: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/spice-world/

I listened to the episode just yesterday and now I find this on beloved bb! The internets must want me to actually see this movie; cameos by Elvis Costello, Jennifer Saunders, Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, to name a few.

2 Likes

“When the rabbit of chaos is pursued by the ferret of disorder through the fields of anarchy, it is time to hang your pants on the hook of darkness. Whether they’re clean or not.”

I’m still chuckling over that one!

5 Likes

I remember a long time ago thinking they were doing a great job of introducing little girls to a kind of feminism-lite.

4 Likes

I have always been of the opinion that Spice World is a great movie. They knew exactly what they were doing.

5 Likes

Stop right now, thank you very much.

Actually, I’m a sucker for this movie too…

4 Likes

It actually looks quite funny. Having seen Richard E. Grant in the trailer, I now have to watch it.

1 Like

Definitely one of the best worst movies ever made.

6 Likes

Looks like a Paul Verhoeven shark-jump.

“Wanna Be” is a group sex anthem.

2 Likes

I remember watching that movie and laughing very hard. Of course we were all extremely stoned at the time, so I don’t know if ir really was funny at all.

1 Like

I’ve never seen the movie myself, it seems quite silly but then again the movie isn’t taking itself seriously. If i ever did get around to watching it it seems best to enjoy it with a group of friends over drinks :slight_smile:

I paid to see it when it came out.
I definitely remember the Gary Glitter cameo.
Am I dreaming it?

my neice was obsessed with it when it came out, and would watch it every day. It boggled my mind that I found it so damn watchable. I slowly became a completely unapologetic fan. This helps me.

2 Likes

inb4 Josie and the Pussycats

Nah, it was shite.

1 Like

That design, especially at the end, giving me some very strong geocities flashback.

is this the one where Stephen Fry predicts their future?

So, it’s an unthinking mish-mash of self-reference, and pop culture, with no central driving idea or theme, held together by a big name spouting profound-sounding nonsense. Oh, and it’s all a cover for a cynical cash grab.

Well, I’m not sure about the “masterpiece” part, but they’ve certainly nailed the “postmodern” bit.

2 Likes

I’m not ashamed to say I’m a 38 year old man who owns their first 2 albums, 6 singles, and Spice World on VHS. Been a fan since seeing them on MTV. I miss the 90’s.

2 Likes