Spice World, postmodern masterpiecce

As is any commercial product. At least the Spice Girls looked like they were having fun while doing it.

2 Likes

That feminism-lite was called “girl power”.

3 Likes

If you’re not looking for a great movie. This is a great movie.

(and I’m not ashamed to say that I have an almost new “Spice Girls” baseball cap if anyone wants to buy a piece of 90’s kitsch. Bought at a dollar store when they were on the way out, it’s followed me through 2 moves…)

3 Likes

I always get my t-shirt of crushing despair snagged on my hook of darkness so i bought these plastic ones at Piggly Wiggly I’m telling ya they work just ask good.

1 Like

So, which one is Old Spice again?

1 Like

Terry Crews

5 Likes

The Spice Girls exemplify the post-Cold War neoliberalism that led directly to Trump and Brexit. While on the surface “Girl Power!” sounds progressive, it actually means White Feminism: supporting reproductive rights (because we have sex), gay rights (because some of us are gay) and completely ignores racial injustice, income inequality, trans rights, indigenous rights, or any other progressive issues that do not effect the “girls”.

1 Like

4 Likes

3 Likes

Can’t it still be progressive, just not AS progressive as what you outlined?

When you say it “completely ignores” something you make it sound as though that was the intent, to ignore. That’s ascribing quite a bit of motive don’t you think? Am I reading too much perfect-is-the-enemy-of-good into your comment?

1 Like

Cherry picking issues that only affect you does not make you a progressive. Liberalism and progressiveism are two very different ideologies, which share a small overlap.

As for intent, I don’t think it’s malicious. Just a lack of action because at the end of the day, Liberals do not believe ideas because of grand ideas about equality, they believe them because they think they’ll benefit them.

(For example, a hotel chain that supports gay rights doesn’t due so out of deep respect for individual choice and liberty: they just think gay money is green too)

1 Like

Makes more sense than the average Fortune500 company’s “mission statement”.

Also, remember what your mum told you: always wear clean underpants when you leave the house.

1 Like

2 Likes

I rest my case.

1 Like

OK, enough of the in depth analysis. Real question is:

‘Could they sing?’

…not in harmony, no. At least in the early days anyhow (however as proved multiple times later on, they did have individual talent). I worked for a company that had provided visual effects software for some of their backgrounds, first Spiceworld tour in 1998. Got a call from the company running that part of the tour, could we solve a problem for them? My answer: “Of course, but we’ll come on site to make sure it gets done properly” :grinning:

Venue: The Point in Dublin (now the O2), we came in with a spare server, and went in to the venue canteen. Sporty held the door open for us, and my boss said that the young bloke Posh was chatting to was looking like a promising football talent (David Beckham, hells teeth I feel old typing that…).

Sorted the problems (natch), then headed in to the arena to watch some of the rehearsals from behind the front of house desk. The Girls weren’t expending much effort on the dance routines, but every now and then the chorus would get really loud. Gradually realised that the Big Red Button the sound guy was thumping would fill in where harmonies should happen. Imagine my shock.

Still thought they were pretty cool, and gutted when they didn’t all turn up at the club we’d been sent to that night - turned out an exclusive castle ‘do’ outside Dublin was much more their style.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.