I can not wait for 'Dolemite Is My Name'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/12/i-can-not-wait-for-dolomite.html

9 Likes

The original came out in 1975 starring Rudy Ray Moore, the soundtrack album was released in 2006

2 Likes

“I can not wait for ‘Dolomite Is My Name’”

Shit, me neither. This thing looks hilarious!

5 Likes

There was a reissue of the soundtrack in 2006, but it did come out on vinyl in 1975 to coincide with the film (I had a copy in the late 90’s.)

Too bad they couldn’t get this film made while Rudy Ray was still with us.

4 Likes

I can’t wait either. That cast is amazing - especially Eddie Murphy.

I saw Rudy Ray Moore perform in Las Vegas on Halloween back in '99.

4 Likes

I see Eddie has finally recovered from the Oscar snub. Good on you Eddie, you’re pretty damn awesome and we all want more of you…fuck the Oscars.

7 Likes

I was hoping Eddie Murphy would be back with another one of his instant classics. He has to have the highest talent to industry award ratio in the business. This looks great, and I can’t wait either.

1 Like

Eddie Murphy? Karate? I’m there.

4 Likes

Dolomite is just his nickname. CaMg(CO3)2 is the name his parents gave him.

12 Likes

Strangely, and amusingly, i first learned of Dolomite from an animated movie called Bebe’s Kids (An animated feature based around characters a stand-up routine from a black comedian that passed away).

4 Likes

Robin Harris was awesome. I must have watched his HBO standup at least a dozen times. Gone way too soon.

5 Likes

I must confess i’ve never seen his stand up, he’s a little bit before my time but i watched the shit out of Bebe’s Kids. It’s a pretty dated campy movie but i seriously love how wacky it is.

1 Like

I will have to watch later but I am skeptical about replacing Rudy Ray Moore. Granted he is dead but there are no substitutes.
As well as I am not sure it would work for a modern audience.

Edit: as corrected below this is a biopic and now that I have seen the trailer this looks great.

Why do I feel like I have seen this already?

The Marvelous Ms Maisel?

I like these retro comedic pieces. Keep ‘em coming!

4 Likes

I’m pretty interested mostly because i’d keen to find out more about how the Dolomite character and movie came together, as long as the overall performances are decent i’m happy to give it a chance.

4 Likes

Fingers crossed for a reference to the Avenging Disco Godfather!

1 Like

Is this a biopic/docudrama? I am on my phone with iffy data reception right now.

Seems more like a biopic/comedy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I take back my earlier comment as I was thinking yet another remake, cause well Hollywood.

2 Likes

“Oh, shit. What the hell does that rat-soup-eatin’ motherfucker want with me?”

I say that everytime I see my boss…

11 Likes