I finally found an anti-fog product for my swim goggles that actually works

Try rubbing a bit of toothpaste on… a lil bit of water, and wipe the bulk off. It should be clear… and you get quite a bit of fog free time with goggles.

@Chris_Loch don’t use toothpaste for googles (unless they are made of glass, which is rare). Toothpaste might be fine for scuba masks which usually are glass, but the abrasives in toothpaste will scratch the plastic of most goggles.

That said, my 2c: not so much spitting, but just licking the inside of my goggles with my tongue, and letting it dry a little (don’t rinse it out) seems to work pretty well, even in open water, where the temperature difference (cold water on the outside of the goggle, warm moisture on the inside) makes condensation much more likely.

I sometimes find that I get some fogging at first, but then it disappears after a few minutes in the water. Haven’t worked out why that happens though.

It’s worth pointing out that they specifically say not to use this in swim goggles; the reason why is explained here:

The container says in all caps “SEA DROPS IS NOT FOR USE ON SWIM GOGGLES.” I asked McNett to explain this statement and here’s their reply:

<<All goggles leak, some; just as all dive masks leak some. There is usually some water swishing around in the lens area of your goggles. The anti-fog chemical is too concentrated in Sea Drops for swim goggles, what I mean is: the water to antifog ratio can result in burning eyes if some of the water in your goggles gets into your eye. Our former product, Goggle Bright was a much lower concentration of antifog chemical to reduce the chance of burning eyes if the water in goggles was to contact the eye. It’s good to hear the Sea Drops works for you. It is not recommended. Please discontinue using Sea Drops in your goggles. McNett currently does not produce a product for use with swim goggles.>>

Straight from the horse’s mouth.

2 Likes

goggles

1 Like

thanks for this. I was thinking it might be glass vs plastic.

have you seen the reviews?

it’s fascinating that a product that would seem to involve no variations in user perception, placebo effects or application would have such a huge range of responses.

Cars pimpled with snakehead nozzles would be in much better taste! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Interestingly, it does say it works on both glass and plastic. However, the negative review there seems to be about ‘land’ use (i.e. not diving/swimming)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.