I found a locked safe hidden at the back of a closet in my new house

Well if you put it OUTSIDE it would get burned up in the fire. Are you daft?

24 Likes

Thatā€™s 2-factor authentication right there!

• Something you have: A safe.
  • Something you know: The location of the combination for the safe.
32 Likes

this, please.

3 Likes

Sounds like my kind of people.

7 Likes

We did have a good look!

5 Likes

I donā€™t even want to imagine what shipping would cost lol

5 Likes

Thinking about it. If you made a faux-safe itā€™d be kind of a neat idea. Could be something like a mini-fridge that looks like a safe on the exterior and maybe have a real locking mechanism on it. Or have the same thing but itā€™s just a cabinet that looks like a safe, this would be pretty doable for DIY. Hmmm.

5 Likes

Iā€™m liking the liquor cabinet idea. If the kids want to steal my booze, make them work for it.

12 Likes

Can you get a safe that incrementes the combination each so itā€™s always the date they have to have been born to legally drink.

4 Likes

create the synapses, then destroy them!

2 Likes

Itā€™s all about efficient pruning. :wink:

4 Likes

19 Likes

I moved a safe about that size on Sunday, helping a friend. It took me about 5 minutes.

Just sayinā€™.

10 Likes

Maybe you can hold it up to the light to see whatā€™s inside?

13 Likes

I never meant 2 cause you any trouble
I never meant 2 make you get a sawzall
I only wanted 2 one time see that safe open
I only wanted 2 see you open up that safe
Stupid Safe. Stupid Safe.
Stupid Safe. Stupid Safe
Stupid Safe. Stupid Safe
I only wanted 2 see you dialing that combo
I never wanted 2 be your BB stalker
I only wanted 2 be some kind of voyeur
@beschizza I could never steal your little lockbox
ItĀ“s such a shame this thread will ever end
Stupid Safe. Stupid Safe
Stupid Safe. Stupid Safe
Stupid Safe. Stupid safe.
I only wanted 2 see you opening up that damn safe
Honey I know, I know, I know dials are spinninā€™
ItĀ“s time we all reach out 4 something new
That means thermal lance
you say you want it open
But you canĀ“t seem 2 make up your mind
I think you better open it
And let me guide you 2 all the likes
Stupid Safe. Stupid safe
Stupid safe. Stupid safe
If you know what IĀ“m singing about up here
CĀ“mon crack that safe
Stupid safe. Stupid Safe
I only want 2 see that door open
On the Stupid Safe

22 Likes

I need a new audio recorder, but when Iā€™ve got it Iā€™m going to do an ultra quiet video of me turning the circly locky thingy on the safe, with some ASMR commentary on the clicks you can hear.

28 Likes

Out of curiosity, how many minutes (or hours?) have you invested so far in knob-twiddling that thing in front of the TV? Or are you waiting for the tools/time/circumstances to be perfectly methodical about it?

Me, Iā€™d have dragged it into the loo so I can spin the knob while on the crapper.

18 Likes

If the Deus Ex games have taught me anything itā€™s that if you write that sort of thing down anywhere some vent dwelling knob in a trench coat is going to find it.

9 Likes

In total Iā€™ve tried a few hundred combinations. Practically, it takes 30s to a minute to go through one because youā€™re going left and right several times on each one, taking care to nail the number each way. So a few hours dedicated to just sitting there spinning the dial.

Thereā€™s a certain frustration in that I donā€™t really know if itā€™s left right left right or right left right left or whatever, or even if itā€™s 4 numbers (as most Yale lock stuff attests) or 5ā€¦

I was going to drill the shit out of it but itā€™s so pretty and all that asbestos talk NOPED me pretty strong on that idea.

25 Likes

Plan at this point: offer up some nice video (with the promised audio) here in hopes that someone will AHAH! THIS IS A CERTAIN LOCK, DO IT THIS WAY type advice.

Then look into the robot cracking tool, which is a few hundred $$$ and can be sold on.

Then a locksmith, which will almost certainly be a colossal waste of money!

20 Likes