Seems like longer?

7 Likes

5 Likes

17 Likes

22 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

OT, but I wonder if they’re going to change that time to 11:59:59 tomorrow at noon.

19 Likes

It’s always a day away…

9 Likes

I’ve been wondering this myself. We’re already at 3 minutes which is our closest to annihilation that we’ve been to since 1984.

Between having a madman running the country who thinks using nukes on our enemies is a swell idea to North Korea continually upping their ICBM game I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see us going to 2 minutes (aka 1953 levels).

Maybe Rob’s safe will contain world peace.

20 Likes

But not the evil genie kind, where that peace is achieved through some horrific method, such as turning everyone in to cows or something.

12 Likes

I kind of think that’s what it’s going to take.

11 Likes

Why? No need to nuke your emplo-- er, your great friend Vlad.

There might be some tension with China, but then Putin will broker an agreement and look A Great Statesman.

Nuclear holocaust is probably the only thing we won’t see in the next 4 years.

8 Likes

Hopefully not the slightly deaf/stupid/pun-loving genie kind, either.

(It’d be just fitting for this group to get a pun-loving genie, after all)

9 Likes

11 Likes

Surely I’ve exceeded
Expectations
Tried for three years.
Seems like thirty.

8 Likes

You’re assuming only two countries have nukes. Think about all the aggressions around the world, where one of the countries involved either has the capacity or is very close to it, and now consider international relations devolving into chaos with no way of monitoring those knife-edge situations.

12 Likes

There aren’t that many scenarios where nukes are a factor beyond US-Russia-China relations. In fact, there are two: India-Pakistan, which is basically out of everyone’s hands regardless, and Israel-Saudi/Iran, where one side cannot retaliate without assistance from US or Russia and where the rise of Trumputin makes little difference anyway. The leave of absence of the US as a brokering power in these situations will simply be covered by Russia. There is no chaos. If anything, there is more order; Putin is all about order.

Sorry, I remain of my opinion: one of the very few silver linings of Putin having a man in the White House, is that nuclear holocaust on a significant scale (for me Westerner, at least) is actually much less likely.

(Note: I willingly discount North Korea, since their capabilities are pretty ridiculous and China could basically reduce them to zero overnight in any serious situation. It falls squarely under China-US relations.)

2 Likes
4 Likes

And don’t forget North Korea’s mediocre (but nonstop) attempts against South Korea, which I would argue is the only one that is truly “out of everyone’s hands”…or rather, out of the U.S. and Russia’s hands.

In all of those circumstances, the aggression is toward neighbors, but the fallout would spread much further and there could well be a domino effect of worldwide war.

I think you’re discounting how much diplomacy has been orchestrated by the U.S. and allies at the international level.

8 Likes