I found the worst K-Cup coffee

If you drive a Subaru you still could…

1 Like

“Medium roast” anything is already an abomination… Coffee pod as an invention is already an abomination… no need to go beyond that.

1 Like

The machines themselves are famous for harboring mold colonies and other unsavory and bad tasting critters in their plumbing. You sure the problem isn’t inside your machine?

3 Likes

I want to know Who buys the smart price instant coffee and how many woodbines a day do you have to smoke to think it’s OK?

Um, wow…

You could have just left the review there. Nothing more damning could be said.

3 Likes

Seriously. Your concern for our environment, food chain, waterways, progeny and wastestream offshoring to developing nations is so… banal @celesteh. It’s not like coffee is easy to make. You probably shop local, too. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

These have been the only k-cups I have found that I like the cup they brew:

a couple points…

first, you know these things are recyclable right? So maybe just don’t be lazy and dump them in the trash.
second, they make awesome gardening seed starter cups. Just drop the seeds into the spent grounds, and place it in empty egg cartons for sprouting.

1 Like

Well, that sounds nice. Apparently not quite so easy though - at least depending on location:

https://www.recycleacup.com/recycling/

First, having bought your little pods, you apparently need to buy a little doodad or widget to cut them up.

Having done that, it’s not a simple as just chucking them in the recycling because your local recycler may not take that kind of plastic.

But never mind - you can mail your empties off somewhere. Yay!

Or I could just not use the entirely pointless pods in the first place.

That is a good tip.

Although, just placing used ground coffee into empty egg cartons would work just as well and not leave you with a heap of pointless plastic.

Seriously, what is the appeal of these systems?

I suppose I can see some appeal in the US given that you apparently have no sensible way of heating up water. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We brew good old fashioned drip java in my office, but four floors down in the C-suite there are two huge K cup machines with a wall full of different pods from Green Mountain and Starbucks.

There used to be a few choices down there that were not totally vile, but over the last few months most of the coffee coffees have been replaced by cinnamon this, hazelnut that, pumpkin spice something else, vanilla whatever.

I haven’t yet had a Sid Dabster moment in front of the CEO, but I suspect it’s inevitable…

11 Likes

We use a normal drip coffee pot at home. When we are making coffee there, it tends to be for multiple people, so being able to brew 4-12 cups at a time is certainly more economical and efficient.

I have a small Keurig at my desk at work. I use it maybe a couple times a month to make just a single cup for myself. Now for me personally I have a reusable k-cup that I put a scoop of grounds into from a bag. When I do use a k cup it is one of the joe knows coffee ones, which are all paper, there is only a plastic ring, not an entire cup.

My feelings are that people who use K-cups regularly are not monsters out to destroy the environment and I do not think k-cups themselves are going to lead to the downfall of civilization. It is not difficult to use a reusable one, nor to clean it for recycling. I think people who love them and use them daily are monsters for not having good coffee taste…but maybe I am being snobbish on that one.

Snark aside…if you feel they are bad for any reason, don’t use them.

5 Likes

Makes sense. Single cup at work is about the only use case I can see and if there are fully recyclable options - why not?

Personally I am so degraded that I just drink the office instant - see Rob’s use of own brand supermarket instant as a comparator. We’re of course better than that, we go full ‘premium mediocre’ with Nescafe Gold Blend.

We do have a similar coffee-ish drink packet system for clients although it’s been broken for months and no one’s rushing to fix it for some reason…

You mean Wall-E wasn’t a documentary that fell through a time-warp from the future? :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Yirgacheffe”

I do have a slight preference for being able to pronounce my coffee.

Covfefe?

Why not just pronounce it like it’s spelled?

5 Likes

Actually, I think Wall-E may have been just that…I just don’t think k-cups are the straw that breaks the back.

2 Likes

We briefly had a Starbucks K-Cup programme at my old office, complete with recycling bin for the Starbucks person to come and collect our pods (and hopefully do something kind with them and not chuck them in a dumpster). The dark roasts, especially, were pretty good and a massive step up in quality from the pots of Folgers or generic ground coffee they’d make a few times a day for the office.

Unfortunately a K-cup subscription for an office isn’t cheap and it was way too popular. After two weeks we were back to drip Folgers.

1 Like

I don’t see the reasoning for anything else.

Really? You’ve never considered that some people place a higher value on convenience than you?

1 Like

Well, that’s kind of the point of that phrase… :slight_smile:

Which straw actually does the breaking doesn’t really matter. It’s the cumulative effect of all the straws.

4 Likes

House guests. When my sisters and I bring our respective families to our parents’ house, we don’t have to make a pot of decaf, then a weak pot of regular, than a strong pot of regular.

Now, as for the appeal of house guests, that’s another question…

Although I think Mom and Dad use their Keurig even when we’re not there. We have one at home, too, but we rarely use it for K-cups (again, for visitors). Instead, my wife uses it to quickly get a cup of hot water so she can brew tea (with a bag – K-cup coffee isn’t so bad, IMO, but K-cup hot tea is really, really weak).

Me, I just take a few extra minutes to grind some beans and brew the whole thing in a French press. On the rare occasion that I don’t have time for that, I’ll buy a cup at work.

As for Starbuck’s, I go back-and-forth on this, but as of right now I think their coffee is god-awful. The hotel room brew was better than that. I don’t know why I go back-and-forth on this, but as Popeye the cartoon sailor says, I yam what I yam.

EDIT:

When I traveled to the Middle East, instant coffee was so prevalent that one would simply ask for “Nescafe” instead of coffee (regardless of the actual brand; much like any soda in Texas is a “Coke”). They had Starbucks (see above) but in Oman it was the equivalent of $5 for a tall cup. $5 also bought (at least) a jar of Nescafe.

3 Likes

I find it depends a huge deal on which coffee is being brewed. Their old house brew was pretty good; the new one, “Pike Place”, is not. Their darker seasonal brews are usually decent and if you’re at a location with a Clover system, those things make amazing coffee & are worth the extra fifty cents. But for some reason their iced coffee is pretty universally bad. If I’m traveling & get coffee at a Starbucks, I get an iced Americano, much better.

3 Likes