I get knocked down, but I get up again

My pup has taken to sleeping with her nose touching me for the last few days. She usually likes to snuggle a bit at bedtime but quickly retires to the floor. Last few mornings, there she is, waking up with me. It’s nice.

9 Likes

This may have turned out to be my strategy.

5 Likes

I don’t have a dog at the moment, but it can be helpful to have a 3 (now 4) year old daughter to stand by the side of the bed when you don’t want to face the world and shout “Come on Daddy, you can do it, you are strong! I believe in you!” I mean, you’re not going to disappoint her by staying in bed after that…

10 Likes

Part of my loss here was her kids. 4 and 6. They were always glad to see me and we had bonded a lot because this looked really serious. They lost their dad 3 years ago, (known her for two years, dated almost one) and I think both I and my ex just learned that she is not ready to be in a relationship. I seem to have come out the other end feeling like I am more than ever, and with much healthier standards than I’ve had before. The brighter future is ahead of schedule on my end. But damn I miss those girls.

14 Likes

Ah dogs… the only animal I know of that is made of pure love. They don’t care how much money you have or how you look, they’ll love you no matter what.

Yes I know it’s due to the breeding and the pack instinct, but still, nothing like having a creature that loves you no matter what you do.

7 Likes

The best long term conditions are to realize that everything material can be taken away from you, everything you described, however your own acquired knowledge cannot and its this which will carry you through all the trials and tribulations. Essentially, in the classical Stoic sense, you cannot control all the occasions that happen to you, only your reaction to them, and its with this knowledge you have accumulated, this ability to reason, from which you will realize and gain strength to carry on.

7 Likes

In the best of ways, you sound like a Al-Anon meeting. But that is very much their advice - that suffering a lack of control about what other people do is, indeed, a waste of time and energy and can only make everything worse.

Thanks, you’re one of the few to go philosophical, which is definitely one of the things one can do after a setback.

5 Likes

These really sound like two Musketeers.

5 Likes

This past week I’ve been affirming that each day is a day of completion. Yesterday was mostly vexations, with some “how could I have been so error-prone” moments when the mistakes came back to haunt me, but today started out the way yesterday ended, the SIMH is Dinah Washington’s “What a Difference a Day Makes”.

On occasion it is good to be reminded that not everything is as perceived. I paid a medical bill, returned after five weeks to a social media platform I was sure nobody noticed my departure, but some did (including a podcast cohost!), switched to a less expensive, diet-activism-free hairstylist who did everything I asked. A LT friend didn’t reply to my email inquiry if she finally received my Xmas gift, but she couldn’t access her email on her phone.

ETA: the penpal letter from Australia I lost, and hated myself for doing so, has shown up in the mail. I must have left at the post office, for three days later it’s back to me. Sometimes boomerangs are blessings.

And it’s good to frame disagreements or touchy issues in the “this and this led me to think this. I could have an incomplete or even wrong perception here. I will listen to your side, and am hopeful of a resolution where we can either both laugh about it or pretend it never happened.”

10 Likes

bump

11 Likes

@zfirphdn The like reminded me that now is the time. For a couple of weeks I have been prevented from cooking much of anything, and things have been getting quite strained on many fronts. Thank you for the perfectly-timed reminder.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.