I have improved Staples' new logo

My theory is that mobile operating systems with their sparse outline-based UIs are the driving force. It used to be that you could control how large the logo would be reproduced, so you could make it large enough to support detail. But now that the logo might just appear in an app-within-folder on a pocket sized screen, details lead to illegibility.

The whole basis of modern UI is resizeability so things work equally well on a 4k desktop screen and, well, a watch.

2 Likes

You have my genuine sympathy; glad my odd sense of humor helped some.

4 Likes

Is that font called…Propter Proles?

3 Likes

That was the worst part of visiting grandparents on Texas. Evil bastards!

3 Likes

$1M so ensures a great product. (Rich person logic)

Now that’s a great bubble. The color combination screams, and together are worth three exclamation points.

7 Likes

Hmm. I actually don’t hate all of them. LEGO and Fiat both work OK for me in terms of readability and “mood.” I think the BP logo is supposed to actually spin, though. :wink:

2 Likes

I hear ya’. I merely posted it to show examples of logo evolution. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Case in point about good design.

:wink:

6 Likes

Must mobile optimize all the things.

2 Likes

Better?

22 Likes

I wonder if companies are deliberately trying to blend into the background, when they want to make money with financial engineering (and usurping government) instead of delivering products and dealing with (spit) customers?

11 Likes

You may be onto something, there…

3 Likes

Painfully reminds me of when I was a teenager and worked part-time at a dry cleaning establishment… and accidentally stapled my finger. A kind lady used her nail file to pry it out (like using a hammer’s claw to remove a nail).

6 Likes

Counter to commonly held belief (and I’ve never understood why people think this) all-caps is not as quickly recognized and understood as mixed upper and lower case. According to actual brain science, all-caps enters first as just a block shape among block shapes, whereas mixed forms a distinctive shape that speeds recognition.

Yes. For example, see above.

I suspect you may be overthinking this. Design goes through trends and the “feeling” trend has largely been replaced by “clean,” which seems to mean sans serif to most designers. Next they’ll probably rediscover stencils—I’ve even heard rumors that letterpress is trending!

P.S. I work as an editor in an academic setting, so I tend to get the research hot off the press or earlier. And though not a designer myself, I work directly with several.

6 Likes

I did that when I was in 1st grade. Wouldn’t let any of teachers at school look at it. Fortunately my mother was volunteering at the school that day, so she came and made it better :slight_smile:

4 Likes

After removal, did she kiss the boo-boo?

I would be sorely disappointed if you said, “No”.

3 Likes

As i was taught it, the golden exception was logos. Coca-cola and GE being prime examples. Granted if everyone switched to doing cursive logos it might be kind of too much but considering how everyone is doing the same boring same-y crap i’d definitely want to do something more on the cursive side.

5 Likes

I tend to agree, but then again, I don’t get to make the rules.

(It’d be a whole different reality if I did.)

Aye; icons and logos are considered the exception.

3 Likes

Unfortunately for my old stomping grounds, the “clean” trend holds sway:

This…

… rather than this…

5 Likes

That first pic…

7 Likes