'I hope they sort it out soon because we’re a nation at war,' says U.S. Special Operations Command chief of Trump

If nothing else this is an important reminder. No one seems to care anymore.

3 Likes

Nothing will happen.

“Weil nicht sein kann was nicht sein darf.” (For … that which must not, cannot be)

… and he will get re-elected. Mark my words. He’s going to start dropping bombs somewhere and the US will lose its mind and go full “Support our Troops. Support the President. 'murrika STRONK!”.

9 Likes

I’m waiting for a member of his staff to get droned, and nobody will admit they ordered the strike. The oath of loyalty already happened, at his rallies.

@FFabian, Krugman is way out ahead of you.

7 Likes

Eastasia, of course. We’ve always been at war with Eastasia.

34 Likes

Truth, reproductive rights, women, teh gays, muslims, jews, non white European origin people…[quote=“Boundegar, post:23, topic:95078”]
Krugman is way out ahead of you
[/quote]

I was reading Stefan Zweig last night, and he was way ahead…

Actually among the parts that really stuck out (in beware of pity) was the line referring to a discussion “I shall be giving away the subject of that conversation if I say that the year was 1938”. I found that chilling. I have been saying for some time IRL how bored I am with the way that every joke has the same punchline these days. Anyway the patriotism/warmongering/people getting behind it defying all common sense was depressing.

A colleague was telling me how some among the communists in Germany held the opinion that the Nazis taking power would turn out to be a good thing as they were such a bunch of idiotic incompetents that they would make a complete mess of it and the people would turn to them…

6 Likes

Truth, reproductive rights, women, teh gays, muslims, jews, non white European origin people…

If I tried to enumerate them all, I’d still be typing that original comment. There’s even a handy list on Wikipedia!

4 Likes

The Cod War is missing there.

And the Phony War.

Big important wars those ones…

1 Like

I just want a war on declaring war on things.

3 Likes

War on war can join war on want…

2 Likes

We have always been at war with Oceana.

5 Likes

Gosh dang it, just when we were getting used to a whole new TGOP Government…

2 Likes

Haha, you fool. You’ve fallen victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia. :wink:

10 Likes

thin blue lines everywhere.

4 Likes

chances are you’ll never be in charge of, nor be a significant drag on the morale of, people about to become veterans. Trump is.

4 Likes

10 Likes

What this looks like, given the extreme vagueness of everything going on is the start of a feather-soft coup by the establishment wing of the GOP. Plus side: less crazy. Minus side: just as evil and better at it.

Ah, we may all find ourselves missing the Prince of Orange before soon.

Why yes, I am a fount of joy today and, indeed, on all days, occasions, and times. I am made of mirth and sunlight.

7 Likes

Yeah, i also thought that looked fishy.

5 Likes

Oh, I think he knows that he lacks the skills. He’s a huckster, a cotton candy-headed snake oil salesman. I maintain that he never expected to win and would just ride off into the sunset the blowhard that he’s always been, tweeting his objections and complaining about that “nasty woman”. His inauguration was like a shotgun wedding that he somehow managed to fuck himself into on purpose. Believe me.

10 Likes

I can’t even imagine missing him. No matter what evil comes in his wake.

2 Likes

So? I’m afraid I don’t get your point.

So there is that military force that just so happens to be the best-funded and most powerful military force on the planet. With some room to spare. A madman can send them to attack some poor country at a moment’s notice, resulting in hundreds of thousands of innocent dead people. It’s only been 14 years since the last time they were ordered to do something like that.
That atrocity was only possible because of the mindset that tells everyone involved that “serving” your country in a military capacity is a good in and of itself, that dshust folloving orders absolves them of all responsibility, and that it is the duty of everyone to honor them for their service afterwards. They trust that people will support the troops, even if they oppose the war.

So now that the US has a madman in charge who makes that other mad cowboy seem sane by comparison, do I want the US military to believe that no matter if the war is right or wrong, they will be honored for taking part and killing people?
I’d rather have them believe that if a madman orders them into another pointless war, they will be regarded as murderers and collaborators if they have a choice, and as pitiable victims if they didn’t, but never honored as heroes.
Additional bonus if they don’t trust or respect the madman.

So why should I complain if Trump disrespects veterans?

5 Likes