I kinda think this tater tot cookbook defines my generation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/02/i-kinda-think-this-tater-tot-c.html

3 Likes

I admit it…I love me some plain old fashioned frozen tater tots, baked in the oven until crispy. I’d rather have tots than frozen french fries.

10 Likes

Hell yes. Frozen fries can be made OK, but tater tots are great just thrown on a baking sheet. Put in the same effort to make acceptable freezer fries with tots and you get a god damn masterpiece.

5 Likes

my kids drive me nuts. They can make homemade fries. They often make homemade french toast cinnamon sugar bites. All that.

Ask them to make frozen french fries or tots…its a disaster. They never cook them at a high enough temp or for long enough. Sometimes they even…GASP…microwave them!!!

4 Likes

I like to pretend that tater tots are depth charges which I deploy against the “hunger submarine” in my stomach.

20 Likes

Yesterday marked the beginning of me insisting my daughter learn to prepare froze and pre-prepared stuff. Its not so damn hard to read the back of the bag and do what it says, while employing the bare minimum of logical forethought to prevent death or destruction.

She made some pilsbury rolls.

10 Likes

I had tater tot hash browns for breakfast this morning.

9 Likes

oh…if it is baked goods (sweet rolls, crescent rolls, biscuits) they follow the directions to a tee. But for some reason they insist they like soft under cooked frozen fries. I do not understand.

they must get it from their mom.

4 Likes

If you’re in San Diego, and the tater tots are a calling …this place will tater your tots, big time…

http://stationtavern.com/

4 Likes

Once, due to bad planning, I ended up having Tater Tots with pre-made Vindaloo sauce for dinner one night. It was glorious.

7 Likes

I nearly wept reading this.

Bless you.

5 Likes

When I was a kid, school hot lunch (for a quarter) on Fridays was fish sticks and tater tots. The fish sticks were as bad as you can imagine school hot lunch fish sticks to be, but the tots, oh Sweet Jesus, they were deep fried heaven. That’s right, back when Johnson was president and dinosaurs roamed the earth, we deep fried our tots. Fist fights broke out over those things, and you could trade them for almost anything. Tot’s are good any way they’re made, but for a real slice of heaven you need them deep fried in lard and served up by a nice old lady in a hairnet who’ll throw on a few extras just because you said please and thank you.

10 Likes

[Just call me Napoleon, because I’m a tot hoarder.](

via GIPHY

)
2 Likes

I think my first memories of tater tots are from the school lunches I had as a kid too. It seems like they steamed them though. They were more mushy than crunchy.

4 Likes

Tater tots were dinner on many occasions in my young adulthood. Cooked almost twice as long as the package indicates, tossed with Tony Chachere. Nothing else was needed.

4 Likes

The Hunt for Spud October!

5 Likes

We introduced our daughter to the joy of Pilsbury rolls (AKA “whomp biscuits”, because of course that’s how you open the cardboard tube of dough, by whomping it on the edge of the counter). What kid can resist that?

4 Likes

You can often find free cookbooks from the company’s website. Jiffy cornmeal mix has one.
Ore Ida has their tot recipes available online.

But personally…I like putting thawed tots in a waffle iron and making tot waffles.

4 Likes

While I agree with this sentiment whole heartedly and unreservedly, I am also sympathetic with the half-ironic, hipsterish idea of homemade tots. Yeah, I know. But still, home made tots are probably fucking delicious.

1 Like

I will buy the $0.50 more expensive IDAHO or other specialty tots sometimes, instead of ORE-IDA or whatever the staple are called. They are worth it. Trader Joe’s tots are a little harder to work with but also great.

1 Like