I touch my elf: the rise of "romantasy," with sex, supernatural encounters, and strong heroines

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/15/i-touch-my-elf-the-rise-of-romantasy-with-sex-supernatural-encounters-and-strong-heroines.html

1 Like

But sometimes the sex supersedes the story. I enjoyed Laurel K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake series until she took some time to write her Fae Series ( I do not remember that series title).

That was successful enough that when she started back in Anita’s series, she did not return to that writing style.

A shame. I really enjoyed the series. (I do not mind sex but the shift felt like another series.)

2 Likes

I prefer the classics.

6 Likes

If we are making recommendations here, I’ll submit Joy Demorra’s Hunger Pangs: True Love Bites. It’s a well written mashup of Victorian Gaslamp, magic, and mythological creatures. There’s also an actual plot to go with the non-traditional romance triangle. (And it has two versions, depending on your tolerance for erotica.)

1 Like

I admit I spent a few seconds trying to decipher what “Fusk” meant.

1 Like

Welp, now we need a filk cover of that DiVinyls song… coming to a con near you.

3 Likes

this guy does some very good amusing voices while reading various books in this genre:

Subtle headline, there…

3 Likes

Not for some of us… :thinking:

4 Likes

Subrosa?

Scifi, fantasy, ghost, heroine, sex, Pew Pew Pew…

TNG has It all.

3 Likes

Well, okay, it wasn’t that subtle.

:disguised_face:

ETA:

Doh!
Read your post, but only realised it was the DiVinyls when I 'tubed it.

<Dunce_Hat_Emoji>

2 Likes

Astonishing that those books are selling with such tasteful covers as opposed to some form of mostly-naked unrealistic beauty standard.

I remember finding a reference to 7 Virgin Brides for 7 Weredragon Billionaires in an article not unlike this several years ago and was quite frustrated when I later could not find exactly who cited it as exemplary of something-or-other.

Ngapa Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

Who doesn’t love a hot Balrog?

1 Like

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.