I unclogged my sinuses using this technique

Originally published at: I unclogged my sinuses using this technique | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Yup, just unplugged my dang right sinus! Thanks @frauenfelder !

17 Likes

Hoooly shit, I did NOT know this, and it does drain my sinus. Thank you for sharing!

10 Likes

Worked! Nice. Thanks!

8 Likes

I’m a bit suspicious of the manipulation of the cheekbone, though. How much does gently pressing on it make it actually move, and move in a beneficial way?

The dude is a chiropractor not a medical doctor, and some of them do “Craniosacral Therapy”, which is a nonsense therapy that claims to manipulate the bones of the skull for therapeutic benefit. Note that he never explains the supposed anatomical result of pressing on your cheekbone or why it would drain your sinuses or where the fluid would go.

19 Likes

See? Placebos work!

6 Likes

I came for the drainage, but I stayed for the elocution.

12 Likes

I think it’s mostly the pulling on your ear, while holding your cheek still that is doing the manipulation, not the pressure on the bone. Bones form the cavity, but the sinus itself is tissue, and is connect to the tissue of your ear.

10 Likes

Ow! My Cheek Bones hurt!

13 Likes

Could be. But I think it is vital to separate out the sense from the nonsense - and that is what science is for, to separate what is actually true from what seems to be true. Otherwise we are like pigeons in a Skinner box, dancing and spinning thinking we have the moves that make the box dispense treats when, in fact, the treats are given out at random, causing us to waste a great deal of time on delusions.

I’d say that chiropractors as a group, though, are not known for their scientific rigor.

14 Likes

Mark @frauenfelder dropping the knowledge today. Wow, this works! Another certification to add to my Google doctorate.

5 Likes

Everybody knows the cranium is connected to the sacrum. In the case of Trump sycophants, one cranium is connected to a certain other’s sacrum.

7 Likes

lQQIMmN

20 Likes

I’m so glad we had this time togetherrrrr, to have laugh and sing a song

14 Likes

Watched 30 seconds of this and damn near fell asleep. Is that the trick? You fall asleep and forget your sinuses were bothering you?

4 Likes

The technique for that is simple. Place your cursor over your video settings gear. press gently but firmly on the left button of your mouse. Take a deep breath and hold it, then set the playback speed to 2x. That should clear that clogged timecode right up! plus it turns the music from a light-jazz raga to hoppin’ licks!

11 Likes

I wonder if this could help get the last stubborn bits of water out of my sinuses after using a neti pot…

4 Likes

Some of Dr. Mandell’s videos are quack city but some (like those about fixing kyphosis and forward head posture) are indispensable. Cool technique.

4 Likes

The nasal region technique worked for me! Take that, anti-science simpletons!

1 Like

Same here re neti pots. I’ll try the trick after my next use. In the meantime:

16 Likes