I Was A Cable Guy. I Saw The Worst Of America

6 Likes

I read that a few weeks ago now. It was interesting and made me feel even more sympathy for the cable techs.

4 Likes

Hopefully, not all four of those in one household.

3 Likes

Hell of a story.

3 Likes

Some jobs give you way more insight into how people behave than you’d bargained for. When I was a Custodian and a gas station attendent, those two jobs gave me enough to fill a book with anecdotes. A friend of mine works an accessibility service for the hard of hearing, which basically means she listens to people’s phone calls. Some calls actually take a psychic toll on her, either because they’re so full of racial invective and anger or because they involve essentially having to aid and abet a phone scammer. She can’t tell me or anyone about the calls, but she has told me, “The Fox News effect is completely fucking real.”

The article is fantastic. I don’t wanna ruin it, so I’m just gonna say read it all the way to the end. There is a fucking primo spicy meatball mic-drop moment in there you won’t wanna miss.

Also:

5 Likes

Brilliant and funny essay; I love the conceit of the vaguely sexist job title “cable guy” (Thanks, Jim Carrey) when the individual telling the story is a gay woman.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.