"I was scared": Ex-GOP chair admits cowardice in signing fraudulent elector docs (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/03/i-was-scared-ex-gop-chair-admits-cowardice-in-signing-fraudulent-elector-docs-video.html

13 Likes

“… Ya see. If you look at it right, i’m the victim here your honor.”

21 Likes

You have shitty lawyers, then. I can’t imagine a halfway decent lawyer saying anything other than “it depends” when asked if documents like that would have any meaning, especially when it comes to getting its signers in trouble. To be clear, what I’m really saying is I don’t believe a lawyer told him any such thing, unless it was one of Trump’s entourage of horribles like Sidney Powell.

27 Likes

18 Likes

Sounds like he is saying Trump is like Hitler or Putin or Capone. You cross them and yea your life is in danger.

12 Likes

But it wouldn’t be just because of you, sport. It would be because the voters chose to elect a different candidate. That is how elections work.

21 Likes

So, he whipped up a violent mob of people with lies and was then scared they would come for him if he didn’t keep lying?

13 Likes

He just misunderstood the overheard conversation about a Hitt man.

5 Likes

so he didn’t commit fraud until someone else tries to pass off the document he signed as real?

5 Likes

No, I meant more “it depends what you’re asking when you ask if these documents have any meaning.” There’s no way any halfway decent lawyer would tell him it would be fine to sign those. They might have told him it won’t have any meaning in the sense that the alternate slate of electors is completely bogus and so wouldn’t have any effect on the election. But it could absolutely have meaning in the sense of future legal troubles for anyone who signed the stupid thing, like this guy.

16 Likes

So is this “scared” as in “I was afraid of the peer pressure, of being ostracized by my social group,” or “scared” as in “I realized the terrorist, criminal organization I was a part of might bump me off if I went against it”? Because neither really absolves the guy, but for very different reasons…

10 Likes

cwaa

15 Likes

See, this might just be the exit strategy that Republicans try to use to try to re-enter the “respectable” world. Once the Orange Don goes away and the MAGA cult starts to die down, you’ll have thousands of public officials publicly standing by the worst people in history, on camera, and they’ll need to reassure voters that they were only doing and saying those things because they were all scared-like. “Did you see those people? They’re crazy! I feared for my and my family’s lives if we went against them! I had to say ‘I’m MAGA for life and I’d die for Donald Trump’ or there’d be a mob at my door!”

7 Likes

The difference between right and wrong is often nuanced. This is not one of those times.

Refuse. Period. If there are legitimate reasons to be afraid then call the feds and resign.

10 Likes

Even the ones that are not part of the MAGA movement generally speaking ONLY care about their own bank accounts and their own well-being. The past 40 years of Republican politics has been geared towards getting people to buy into the idea that government is always illegitimate, and that its only real function is to pad the bottom line of the already powerful and wealthy. So, it makes sense that the people who end up being elected as Republicans really only have their own interests in mind. They don’t a shit if the rest of us live under a dictatorship, because they believe that they’ll be on the right side of dear leader as long as they play along.

13 Likes

If you’re going to be in a position of power, you have to be able to conquer the fear. If you fold like a beach chair, get out of the role.

4 Likes

“fear is the mind killer” may go a small way to explain these spineless maga creeps.
they’re out of their freakin minds!

5 Likes

Obligs:

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.