I went to Burning Man in 1996

Hey man, don’t assume you’ll never meet your MDMA cuddler again. Love can take a very circuitous route…

3 Likes

You know, Sting used to be kind of cool once https://entertainment.theonion.com/you-know-i-used-to-be-kind-of-cool-once-1819583601

Well median age has held steady at 33-34 for a while. The event is 32 years old.

Their ticketing policies have recently turned towards favoring rich newbies over veterans.

The census graphs seem to show a trend of 20-24 ages decreasing, presumably as the event gets more expensive. But 25-34 age groups are trending up. And 2017 was the first recent year that there were more 30-34 year olds than 25-29.

I don’t see any trends in the higher age groups, which seem to be stable. I would guess the veterans for whom Burning Man is now an established ritual are willing to go to increasingly desperate lengths.

I used to go most years, but circumstances have kept me away for the past few. The trends towards large scale professional projects over small scale individual expressions, and buying/consuming premade gear and experiences over DIY have me wondering if I will ever be back.

4 Likes

so basically defcon but further into the desert :wink:

Yea, only time I went was back in 1973. Back before it got popular. After that, it really went downhill.

It was so much better the year before that.

2 Likes

I went in 1996 too, to cover it for the L.A. Times. After the week ended, I drove out to the Reno Gazette-Journal to file my story.

I sat in front of the computer for a full 90 minutes, completely unable to come up with a single word to explain what the fuck had just happened. Eventually I cobbled together some gibberish.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.