I went to Eminem's new Detroit spaghetti restaurant

Originally published at: I went to Eminem's new Detroit spaghetti restaurant | Boing Boing

12 Likes

34 Likes

This makes me miss Detroit so damn much. I just want to go to this place and the Lafayette Coney Island.

6 Likes

whyyyyyyy does this place exist? i hate our world sometimes.

8 Likes

Celebrity Restaurants? The third rail of the food industry.

11 Likes

So Eminem can make more money?

I probably wouldn’t eat at a restaurant named after a line in a rap song involving vomit, but that’s just me… I know there are a lot of people who would, obviously. In some of the promo stuff, they talked about spending a lot of time and effort trying to design a fresh spaghetti recipe that tasted like it came from a can, which confuses the heck out of me; why not just serve spaghetti sauce out of a can, a lot of restaurants do…

But of all the horrible things going on in the world, this ranks firmly under “eh, so?”. I mean, I have a bit more ire regarding the Mr. Beast Burger chain, to be honest; but even it is like… meh. I guess I just have a lot of anger fatigue…

7 Likes

I would gladly trade a nation full of anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers for a Starbucks worth of Mom’s Spaghetti restaurants. Would I ever eat there? Probably not, and I like Eminem. But yeah, this doesn’t even peg 0.1 on my outrage meter.

14 Likes

Thank god Biz never opened a restaurant based on a line from one of this songs.

R.I.P. buddy.

5 Likes

If it is anything like his music, there will be one dish on the menu created by Dr. Dre, and it will be better than all the rest combined.

13 Likes

I’m still holding out for Sir Terry’s Dibbler’s Famous Diner.

7 Likes

Pea brain: serve food on a plate

Regular brain: serve food in a takeout container

Galaxy brain: serve food on a sweater

4 Likes

Haven’t since covid but Lafayette and American Coney Island (side by side) are always on our list when we head downtown for a concert or game. We’ve taken newbies to Lafayette and they are always fascinated by the guy that never writes anything down and always gets the order correct. He ads it all up in his head and just tells you the total.

In the early to mid 70s me and my dad wold go to Big Time Wrestling at Cobo Arena and on the way home we would pick up grandma and head over to George’s or Senate coney island on Michigan Avenue. Senate burned down in the 90s.

Misty water colored memories…

4 Likes

it’s not really anger, it’s more like… despair, i guess. this one-note bad food take based on a single lyric in a song from almost 20 years ago should not be the basis of an entire restaurant.

6 Likes

I have never eaten at Georges as the parking lot is always 100% full when they’re open. Must be pretty good omelettes!

3 Likes

I get it. But at the same time, whatever. At least it’s not another burger or chicken joint. Or yet another pizza chain.

I just wonder if he came up with the idea himself, or if a bunch of investors approached him, and they chose “Mom’s Spaghetti” because being based on the lyric would generate publicity. I mean, are “spaghetti sandwiches” Eminem’s passion now? Unlikely.

4 Likes

Does anybody but me remember the spaghetti from Little Caesar’s? Came in a big plastic bucket with some kind of divider in it, separating the noodles from the sauce. It used to be our go-to meal the day before my son would have a track meet when he was in high school.

2 Likes

I’m sure that’s the next step. Expect to see Mom’s Spaghetti in your local Kroger soon.

7 Likes

My wife and I went to a new restaurant called Bruno. We had duck. It was really good. Their menu is supposed to be for sharing. The 52 oz steak is not meant to be for one but for several. We saw three young men share it and then pack up leftovers.

Is this experience notable or relevant to the world at large? No. I think eating at Eminem’s restaurant is about the same level of interest.

4 Likes

You mean like Providence, Rhode Island’s twice-resigned, twice-convicted, much-beloved mayor, Vincent A. “Buddy” Cianci?

6 Likes

“Doesn’t have too much onion” I believe is the advertising copy.

7 Likes