Ice cream cones have orgy in Bill Nye's cartoon that criticizes Christian dogma

Sometimes science drops bombs on you.

4 Likes

I agree with you. I love Bill Nye, but found the ice-cream video to be self-informing and simplistic.

It also seems to imply that if “Vanilla” sexuality would just try the other flavors, his sexuality would be different. That’s just the other side of “flavor conversion” therapy.

14 Likes

Science doesn’t drop the bombs, Governments do. But I get where you are coming from…

1 Like

In fairness that’s equally true for flying people to the moon.

9 Likes

OH I missed that, but you’re absolutely right.

There is NOTHING wrong with being Vanilla. They can’t help it any more than others can for being strawberry. One can help how accepting they are to other flavors.

6 Likes

Wasn’t that just the studio audience laughing?

1 Like

government funded the building of the atomic bomb which rested on government funding and intervention into science.

I just don’t think it’s fair to blame ALL BAD THINGS on religion, when bad things are done by all kinds of people for all sorts of reasons. While Osama Bin Laden ordered planes flown into buildings, Dr. King rallied people of all faiths together in order to create a better society for all.

Religion, like any other organizing aspect of our world, has good and bad attached to it. All we do by ignoring the bad is alienate people who can help make our world better. I know this isn’t a popular view here, but if we’re going to improve the world, we have to actually understand power and how it functions in this world. It’s not just “scientists good, religious people bad.” It’s just so reductive.

13 Likes

Would you mind expanding on this? As someone who grew up firmly embedded in the church, and am thankfully no a decade clean of that brainwashing and fully out as my queer self, quite a bit of old and new testament scripture mentions the problems with (specifically) same-sex activity. Now, there is obviously biblical contradiction in how it is to be dealt with, but condemnation is pretty clear-cut in my experience.

I like when the four different flavors gang up and pressure vanilla into fucking like it’s not a big deal.

3 Likes

Uh… Mint?

Totally off-topic, but was that good? I read (and loved) Star Maker and Odd John, but I’ve never read that one.

Star Maker is, IMO, still one of the top philosophical Science Fiction novels of all time, even though his prose is a bit brittle at times.

1 Like

Not as clear-cut as your haters would like you do believe. Are Old Testament morality codes binding on us today? Did you ever enjoy a cheeseburger? The part of Leviticus that forbids gay sex also forbids mixing two fibers in one garment. I don’t see Westboro Baptist turning out to protest permanent press.

In the NT, most of the condemnations are in the middle of morality lists, which were a pagan thing when Paul was in diapers, or whatever ancient babies wore. He was emphasizing that Christians are fine, upstanding people and not libertines. You want to take that personally? (I think it’s Romans 1 where Paul holds up lesbians as a side-effect of idolatry, but it’s paganism he’s condemning.)

As for the Gospels, if hating the gay was so vitally important to the faith, why did Jesus never mention it? On the other hand, he made dozens of condemnations of greed, including the only description of somebody actually being damned. I’ve never seen fundamentalists protesting capitalism - have you?

14 Likes

Maybe? I felt like the jokes were very forced and not really funny. I just assumed that nobody would actually laugh and so therefore the laughing was on the laugh track…

1 Like

Animation doesn’t usually have a studio audience.

1 Like

Animation doesn’t usually have a studio audience.

I hear that Bill Nye can draw really, really fast.

5 Likes

Nothing anyone can do about that. Just today I saw a post on the Fox website about a peculiar rock formation on Mars - it was upright, like the stump of a tree. The text very explicitly said that some UFO fans (not NASA or any scientists at all) had said it was evidence for trees on Mars. But the comments (other than those that said, basically, “huh, weird”) were divided between those who said, “see, scientists are all full of it”, and those who said it was evidence of a conscious creator. So, idiots got to idiot.

3 Likes

First one that came to my mind:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healing_the_centurion%27s_servant#Homo-erotic_connotations

Further info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_the_New_Testament

1 Like

Indeed. Favoring the rich, getting involved in right-wing politics, and espousing hate are not Christian dogma or doctrine either. And yet…

2 Likes

Well: I started it twice, and put it down “for later.” Specifically, around when the Last Man starts dealing with the hang-ups of a guy in 1930s England. So, evidently not as gripping as Star Maker or Last and First Men or poor old Sirius.

THIS IS THE FUTURE THAT LIBERALS WANT!

15 Likes