Iconic composer Vangelis of "Chariots of Fire" and "Blade Runner" fame, RIP

Originally published at: Iconic composer Vangelis of "Chariots of Fire" and "Blade Runner" fame, RIP | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Damn it, I got the sads. Vangelis was and still is my go to listen when I’m having mental health issues, thank you good human, I owe you big time.

27 Likes

Thank you for the prog rock, Vangelis!

10 Likes

Such a shame. I was a little young to be a real Vangelis fan, but we had one of the albums he did with Jon Anderson, Friends of Mr. Cairo, I believe and loved listening to it as a kid. Later, when I was knee deep in the Royal Conservatory of Music exams, Chariots of Fire was my musical happy place. It was the only non-conservatory song I knew at the time and it really helped me enjoy playing.

13 Likes

With Demis Roussos!

13 Likes

I loved the Blade Runner soundtrack but this is one of my favourite pieces of music of all time, used as the theme for Carl Sagan’s Cosmos TV series.

I would like this played at my funeral, please.

24 Likes

Yes, lovely and added to my Vangelis list. Thank you.

7 Likes

i’m glad that Aphrodite’s Child was referenced, because that’s actually where i heard of him first. then Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner came out…

5 Likes

While we are posting favorites, Columbus can go to hell, but this is beautiful. RIP to a wonderful composer.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing that. Cool music :sunglasses: and Roussos absolutely nails the Prog-Rock Messiah-Magus look in the video.

What curious fingers Vangelis had; but he could certainly craft an anthem. I’m torn regarding my funeral music; maybe Fire, by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, or Death is Not the End, by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

5 Likes

On the surface his “Mutiny on the Bounty” seemed a little out of place for a story set in the 19th Century, but it works.

4 Likes

He’ll find his way home.

14 Likes

My pleasure, but under terrible circumstances.

:disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

I and my old school pals were (and still are) into Vangelis. The only album I’d counsel against purchasing is the unlistenable Beaubourg which, in spite of any earnestness on Vangelis’ part, could quite easily pass for a vengeful “contractual obligation” effort.

2 Likes

Bad name for a band.

3 Likes

That song (studio version) and “The Lamb” from their album 666 got tons of airplay on WNEW-FM back in the day!!

1 Like

fun-fact

4 Likes

This sucks…

1 Like

I’d also suggest avoiding Hypothesis, which the V-man himself has disowned. Personally, I LOVE it, but it’s a very, very different vibe, and can be off-putting if you’re not expecting it.

3 Likes

Just checked it out. Yikes!!! It sounded like a soundtrack for an Italian-language early 60’s sci-fi B-flick that never made it across the Atlantic.

Re Beaubourg: Some years back, my school buddy and work colleague, Mike, one day engaged a co-worker in a general discussion about the state of prog-rock. When Mike called the album of a certain band a “real Beaubourg”, the other guy understood; he got the reference! I wonder if, among the synth-prog cognescenti, “Beaubourg” has become a do-all musical snub.

3 Likes