Iconic composer Vangelis of "Chariots of Fire" and "Blade Runner" fame, RIP

Ha! Yep, that about describes it. You can imagine my confusion when I picked up the cassette in a cutout bin in about 1985, thinking “Hey! That’s the Blade Runner guy! This’ll be great!” It took me a looong time to grok it (not something I’d play around my high school buddies - the ribbing would have been interminable), but one day it just clicked, like will happen with some jazz albums. It’s certainly not among my favorite Vangelis albums even now, but sometimes I’ll throw it on for a change of pace.

2 Likes

I’m the same way with Captain Beefheart,

2 Likes
4 Likes

Very sad news. Vangelis was a friend of Sean Connery, who read the Cavafy poem ‘Ithaca’ for this beautiful Vangelis scored piece. Poignant and fitting:

3 Likes

You and me both. Vangelis is pretty much why I took up electronic music as one of my main hobbies.

2 Likes

I would be remiss if I didn’t post this, the greatest thing Adult Swim has ever created:

10 Likes

For many years I listened endlessly to my tape of Chariots of Fire. I used to do some form of meditatation with it or just enjoy listening to it. It is music of the mind.
I enjoyed the movie but, for me, the score towers over the visual experience.

Thank you, Vangelis, for making my life richer!

1 Like

Came to post this, since it’s already here nothing to do but second your recommendation. Leaves me in stitches every time, and like Spinal Tap, it gives the impression it comes from a place of understanding the various source materials its parodying.

1 Like

I’ve never seen that before but that’s amazing.

2 Likes

That’s my second favorite from Cosmos, this coming first:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.