Idaho mile marker 420 replaced with 419.9

Our street sign got stolen so many times, I made my own out 3/16" steel, sunk in 150 lbs of cement with rebar anchors. You could throw a chain around it and drag it out of the ground, I guess, but what stoner kid would go to the trouble? What’s funny is the City still keeps replacing the “official” sign next to mine, and it keeps on getting ripped off.

2 Likes

Sometimes the best fastener is a tack weld.

4 Likes
1 Like

Ok, I would have never thought of stealing a 420 sign, but if I ever see a 419.9 I’m napping that bitch.

4 Likes

Alas, this reminds me that when I was a much younger man, some twenty years ago, on some random road trip. I was so tempted to steal road signs with ‘cool’ numbers or words. Never had the guts to actually stop along the highway and try to do it though.

Agreed, though its hard to tack weld to wood.

1 Like

Steel strip around the wood part. Then soak the wood with water, and tackweld the steel.

1 Like

That’s essentially what they did. two steel bands around the pole, a heavy duty bracket welded both to the bands and the sign, and bolts/rivets allover for good measure.

1 Like

AFAIK GPS is passive and doesn’t rely on any outbound signal, it triangulates directly from satellite feed.
OTOH triangulation from cell-towers requires a signal, and can be done with any phone, even on those without GPS.

4 Likes

My cousin used to live on Leather Stocking Trail, she always loved to see the look on people’s face who asked for her address. That sign had to replaced a few times.

1 Like

Around here, the “Stoner Avenue” signs in West LA have a fairly high attrition rate.

The biggest challenge, though, was when the Stoner Avenue Recreation Center added the Stoner Skate Plaza

3 Likes

This isn’t standard procedure because I believe they want items in close proximity to the road to bend and break whenever possible. Less deadly that way.

On a quiet side street that isn’t a big issue obviously.

High Streets all over are very popular.

1 Like

That article says the 419.9 Mile marker is in Colorado. as did NBC this morning.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wisconsin+bong+recreation+area&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&norc=1&zx=1440019064967

They should share some sign bolting tips with the Bong Rec area folks in wisconsin

'Cause the sign’s out, it’s more dangerous
The EMT- he can’t save us.
For directions- advantageous
So they quickly can convey us.

2 Likes

The signs on high street were always missing in Eugene.

1 Like

I don’t know how often this got stolen up until about six years ago.

1 Like

Funny enough the Nirvana St sign thievery was in Eugene aswell.

1 Like