Identified as fascists, the GOP just turns the word around

Sure, related, and goes way back - “If it weren’t for those pesky civil rights agitators, we’d not have any ‘race problems’… everyone would know their place.” But it seems like there’s a modern conservative attitude that’s a little more personal: “We’ve all agreed, racism is bad. But I’m not bad - so I can’t be a racist, QED. Anyone claiming I am is just being awful and trying to cause trouble and maybe even destroy me because of issues with their politics.”

9 Likes

When those in the GOP/GQP do this I have flashbacks of bullies at school and the old saying, “They can dish it out, but they can’t take it.” At least with children we have hope for growth, change, and maturity at some point in the future, right? :crossed_fingers:t4: With these folks…

Angry Jasmine Goode GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

11 Likes

After Republicans embraced “deplorables” as some sort of badge of honor, I guess it’s only natural that they will start to embrace “fascist” as well. I look forward to seeing people wearing t-shirts that say, “I am a fascist” on them.

14 Likes

Of course nowadays conservatives are apt to pretend that they would have supported the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s but today’s civil rights agitators are totally different. Never mind that the surviving leaders and activists of the 1960s civil rights movement don’t see it that way.

15 Likes

Which has such a tenuous grasp on the history of the passage of the Civil Rights Act (and what followed), it’s just ridiculous.

14 Likes

Indeed. I keep getting into pointless arguments with conservatives who seem to think they have a better understanding of Dr. King’s message (which in their mind boils down to “race doesn’t matter so everybody get over it”) than Dr. King’s own family, friends and fellow activists.

It’s much easier to pretend a famous civil rights activist would have seen things your way when he’s too dead to publicly correct you.

15 Likes

Yeah, too many have been claiming they are the real victims of discrimination - and they get very upset at attempts to teach them the difference between their discomfort and anyone else’s oppression. They went from invoking Rosa Parks during anti-mask protests to repeating BLM slogans because of the raid on Mar-a-Lago, FFS.

14 Likes

Not to mention how they just love to cherry-pick tiny slivers of what Dr. King would preach, while ignoring pretty much everything else.

Worse yet, it seems like all too often this is done to try to one-up a Black person. “But, Dr. King said, ‘<some out-of-context thing he said once>’”, so that means you’re the real racist here. QED.".

13 Likes

So, tell me, Right Wing…you’re anti-fascist now?

Would you say you identify as Antifa-cist now?

/s, we know you’re fascists. You’re not fooling anyone.

11 Likes

How did the cons work that out?

16 Likes

Well, it’ll make it easier to find someone to punch.

5 Likes

Probably the same way they convince themselves they would have sided with that upstart young hippie in Judea who was giving a piece of his mind to the Pharisees.

12 Likes

Man, if only they had been there with their AR-15s, they would have made Judas damn sorry he ever kissed another man.

9 Likes

Once you’ve done that to the Bible, doing that to MLK has been their next project.

7 Likes

As a rhetorical device I don’t use the term antifa. Instead I use the term anti-fascist.

If you wonder what you would have done in 1935 Germany, you only have to look at what you are doing right now.

3 Likes

I want to go to all their “protests” wearing a shirt that says “Reduction of Privilege is Not Oppression” but then I suppose I’d be beaten to death.

9 Likes

I wear this t-shirt regularly. Weirdly, no one says anything about it to me. Wonder why?

16 Likes

too many big words

12 Likes

My first real-life “Let’s Go Brandon” t-shirt sighting left me with a feeling of slight fear. If they really start wearing “I Am A Facist” t-shirts I’m getting a gun.

2 Likes

So was Biden’s speech rhetorical, or is he planning on doing something about it?