Idiot at gas station won't put out cigarette, so attendant uses fire extinguisher

Cool, i have no problem with that. I’m not calling you names over it or implying something about you with passive aggressive remarks. So yeah, i’ll take my opinions elsewhere. Don’t bother replying.

I find your argument very compelling; you see the tendency to automatically place blame on both parties in any conflict far too often. Anybody ever heard, “Well, what did YOU do,” when someone literally leaped on you out of the blue in school, say? Schools are a fertile mulch for this sort of thing.

In fact, I find this to be lazy, pernicious bullshit, that’s used to constantly justify doing nothing about obviously toxic situations. It’s most blatant in the education system, probably, but it’s also a common problem for society, in general.

@Grey_Devil: Disagreeing with you isn’t “rude” or some sort of persecution; get over yourself, please. Or at least refrain from entering debates, if you don’t like debates.

2 Likes

Update: A source on a different site (that features gifs and other images :slight_smile: said that it was in Bulgaria, and was all over the news shows there.

Does anyone know what country it’s from. Driver seat is on the right, long license plates, so it’s definitely not the US (or Canada). I’m guessing somewhere in Europe.

That’s relevant to the laws that apply, and the behaviors. It’s likely that the smoking was very explicitly forbidden by law, and that there was appropriate signage.

The attendant may or may not have switched off the pumps before he walked into view. My guess was that he also told the smoker to put out the cigarette, and got something along the lines of “fuck you” from the smoker. More discussion may or may not have followed, and then he calmly took it to the next level.

I’d say property rights excuse one of them.

1 Like

I mean, I did make a passive-aggressive comment about people who saw fault in both sides implying that they did so automatically instead of with due consideration. Ultimately if someone wants to write me off because of that it’s probably for the best.

Quite a debate going on here!

I’ll just add my 2cts by saying that the powder left by those extinguishers will screw up electronics and electrical systems. That car is guaranteed to get funky soon.

I’m not sure what kind of extinguisher would even be present at a gas station. From what I recall (plus a quick refresher via google) Purple-K might be the extinguisher of choice for service stations.

Wikipedia indicates that it’s mostly non-toxic. probably better for electronics than a standard ABC extinguisher too

imminent ?

Punks with turned b-caps know the dangers of tussling with angry, old guys. They can whale on yo’ ass.

2 Likes

The text on the guy’s ball cap is basically truth in advertising.

1 Like

I retroactively stand by my accidental word choice.

5 Likes

On both the videos linked in the comments it looked like the legendary static discharge ignition to me. Both occurred as the person reached for the nozzle, not obviously with a cigarette. The woman had just straightened her sweater with that hand, no cigarette, but loads of static.

In fact as I googled, the same video comes up stating it’s static.

Sometimes when you encounter entitled, arrogant, selfish idiots who think, “The rules don’t apply to me because I’m special!” and they do things like smoke in a gas station, well, you need to make a humiliating public example of them. This is one of those times.

Cigarette Guy probably won’t smoke in gas stations anymore. That’s a good thing, for everyone.

5 Likes

Remember everyone, Mythbusters is not science.

1 Like

Improbable things happen constantly, all day, every day. To the consternation of morons who don’t realize that getting lucky once or ten times is not the same as safety.

3 Likes

It’s a dry chemical fire extinguisher. Even carbon dioxide extinguishers aren’t that dangerous. You’ll much more likely get a flash-freeze burn on your exposed skin than asphyxiation.

Although asphyxiation is a much bigger concern with things like Halon fire suppression systems, which are deployed in sealed areas, and will both asphyxiate and poison any poor bugger trapped inside.

2 Likes

I think there’s an epidemic of false balance plaguing the US. Where morons think their opinions are as good as the facts researchers discover. Where every conflict has to have blame on both sides when that’s not always the case, and where every social justice prompt ends up being countered by the repressive right who cry and whine as if they’re always being hurt by others working to better their own situations.

8 Likes

Maybe the fire extinguisher was a slight over-reaction, but I don’t categorize acts as assault which don’t harm anybody. The charge has become overly broad. It originally meant to actually injure a person, but in the US now it can be considered assault if somebody didn’t want you to shake their hand. I would thank the attendant because I suspect people nearby faced a greater risk from second-hand smoke than they did from unwelcome fire extinguisher dust.

Nowhere near as rude as when I have stuffed people’s lit cigarettes in their shirt pockets.

2 Likes

Well SOME harm, at least financial, is likely. In no way was that good for his car, even if it was completely non-toxic ^^'. I do agree, however, with your general point.

Exactly! There’s only so many dice rolls you get over any given period of time, before the likelihood of a given mishap happening in that period approaches unity. There’s a LOT of stupid people out there — remember, 100 IQ is average, by definition, and the US average is 98! — each with handfuls of dice =x .

1 Like

Also important to remember, even though the average is 100, that doesn’t mean half are less. There could be a hyper intelligent elite few skewing the average and a lot more than half below average.