Reminder: don't set fire to spiders while you pump gas

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Reminder: don’t set fire to spiders.

Do you need anything more than that?

7 Likes

Has this ever happened?

7 Likes

Kill it with fire is usually the right solution. Failing that, kill it with shopvac!

1 Like

Hee-hee, I know that gas station, it’s about three miles from my house. I wonder what he was on, or if he’s very arachnophobic?

Arachnophobic. But it wasn’t my first ex-husband…he lives in Roseville.

3 Likes

Not according to snopes.

Mythbusters was unable to make it happen.

4 Likes

Fire requires fuel (gasoline vapor works nicely), oxygen and ignition source. While a cell phone has not proven to be a good ignition source (spark), plastic on plastic electrostatic discharge has: Fire Hazard from Filling Portable Gas Cans in Pickup Trucks and Cars | NIOSH | CDC

The insulating effect of the bed liner or carpet prevents the static charge generated by gasoline flowing into the container or other sources from grounding. The discharge of this buildup to the grounded gasoline dispenser nozzle may cause a spark and ignite the gasoline. Both ungrounded metal (most hazardous) and plastic gas containers have been involved in these incidents.

1 Like

phobic implies an irrational fear.

We’re talking about spiders, people.

#SPIDERS

7 Likes

Speaking in my capacity as a very arachnophobic, I wouldn’t be getting that close to a spider. I’d probably just abandon the car, you can always buy another car. Or at least go into the station and ask the attendant for help. “That’s right! A spider!”

3 Likes

Every necessary human activity carries some risk. You might stumble getting out of bed and break your neck.

If we make a rule that says “no spider incineration at gas stations,” spiders will gain a foothold at gas stations. Is that what you want, internet? IS IT?

7 Likes

7 Likes

oh fuck you

1 Like

Center Line, Michigan, fire and a gas pump.

Got it!

Except none of those look particularly dangerous. I now know which ones to actually watch out for: ones in places arachnophobics might visit, seeing as those can apparently cause any amount of damage up to explosions.

Ha, except that would be blaming the victim here. I know you’re posting in fun, but there is so much constant hatred for this part of nature, to the point where I have seen people complain about photos of spiders in articles about them. It’s wearing. I have phobias too, you know, but I don’t pretend they are sensible.

3 Likes

THERE ARE NO PHOBIAS CONCERNING SPIDERS

#KILL 'EM ALL 

4 Likes

CRAZY TALK FROM A HAIRY GIANT WITH BONES LITERALLY STICKING OUT FROM INSIDE ITS MAW SO IT CAN SEVER AND GRIND ITS PREY

ARE WE STILL IN THE RIGHT THREAD?

5 Likes

Today I learned that modestly sized fire extinguishers can be super effective.

3 Likes

A big mistake, and it could have been deadly…

Luckily, no one was injured…

Hey! #SpiderLivesMatter

1 Like

#NotAnySpiders

2 Likes

Pretty sure they’d survive a shopvac.