Idiot instantly regrets trying to kick a dog

I’m guessing you were never a paperboy as a kid (or a postman as an adult.)

However those are examples of self-defense, I can’t see any reason in this clip why he would kick the dog-- anyone know what the dog is doing? Digging up something. . . sea turtle eggs? (That might be a valid reason.)

4 Likes

Because they are secretly hoping someone will beat the shit out of them, but they don’t know how to just ask for it? I have no idea…

12 Likes

It looked like he was burying his shit…which is why the guy slipping into it was so wonderful.

edit

Yeah, maybe not.

4 Likes

We are so used to dogs as domesticated companions that we forget about their inherent nature. Even as dog owners we like to gloss over important details and blame behaviors as being about specific breeds.

1. They are ALL territorial predators. It doesn’t matter how big or small they are.
  2. They are NOT people. They have their own moods and motivations, not all of which are predictable. This is why “he’s never done that before” is so commonly heard after an attack.
  3. You can have A dog, you might have two dogs, but after that you have a pack. Packs don’t take commands for shit. You are now dealing with a different organism (see #2).
12 Likes

Yeah, this was exactly my first guess too (including the hilarity of him falling into the shit), but dogs don’t bury their shit (“oh how I wish they did” he says as he scrapes the bottom of his shoe against the curb). It does look like the dog is digging something up. Dead body? Pirate treasure? New England style clam bake?

3 Likes

Yeah, cats… like this one:

26 Likes

To show that he was there, that he mattered. Same reason people vote for Trump.

6 Likes

Why would you want to kick a dog?

To use my local slang: Because he is a massive bell-end.

5 Likes

Way too close to the sea for turtle eggs, they like to get a long way above the high tide mark (within reason).

2 Likes
  1. They are ALL territorial predators. It doesn’t matter how big or small they are.
  2. They are NOT people. They have their own moods and motivations, not all of which are predictable. This is why “he’s never done that before” is so commonly heard after an attack.
  3. You can have A dog, you might have two dogs, but after that you have a pack. Packs don’t take commands for shit. You are now dealing with a different organism (see #2).
  1. Yep
  2. They are not people. They do pick up a lot of their behaviour from humans though.
  3. Sorry, I disagree. Two dogs ‘worrying’ sheep can be a pack. A dog walker with 6-8 dogs is fine giving commands, they all look up to him or her. Then we get in to large numbers, illegal fox hunting in the UK, huge ‘packs’, all under command. Controlling a large number of dogs is actually fairly straight forward, we have basically bred them to be this way for some time.

Anyone who says ‘he has never done that before’, I would be looking hard at the owner.

8 Likes

Yeah, cats can definitely be assholes, but no animal can compete with the fuckery that humans do.

22 Likes

I’m imagining his thought process while he sits there looking at the dog…

Look at that dog just standing there.
I really wanna kick that dog.
Yeah… i’m gonna do it, i’m gonna kick that dog.

TWAT!

8 Likes

Hence, my use of “might” when dealing with two.

The key to those situations is individual training. Each of those dogs needed to be trained as individuals, and addressed as such. Integration also requires its own process.

Bringing dogs together from different homes is always risky and doesn’t always work out. This is where the dog walker is partly at an advantage since there’s too much inter-animal chaos for a pack to emerge. By the time the exercise is finished the dogs might now be considered friendly to each other, but cohesion is broken when they go their separate ways.

Groups of working dogs require enormous amounts of preparation specifically to keep them in line. Individual training is required first, along with training to integrate with a purposefully-managed hierarchy. Alphas aren’t just allowed to emerge, though they might be cultivated if the existing alpha is getting old. Frequent commands, whether through voice, whistle, or horn are used in part to remind the individuals to pay attention to the human. The dominant dogs will be specifically commanded by name if commands aren’t followed by the pack.

3 Likes

It’s a set-up if you ask me.
It looks like he fell on purpose and the retaliatory dogs look more playful than angry.

3 Likes

I had a dog run up and bite me while I was riding my bike on a city street once. As soon as I jumped off my bike and pulled a knife on it, the cowardly little shit ran right away back to his owner. I’d have done a lot more than kick him if he’d stuck around.

3 Likes

I was a paperboy throughout my childhood. I have had more than my fair share of unfriendly dogs. That said, I would never kick a dog. Ever.

7 Likes

Must have been on The Dog Island.

Well, there’s “unfriendly”, and then there’s “getting bitten.” When you’re being attacked your animal instincts take over. I usually ran from dogs back then, which was almost always a losing gambit. One dog in my neighborhood was eventually put down by its owner because it was so violent.

I love dogs, but that doesn’t mean they are all loving and friendly and stable creatures.

In this video clip we aren’t shown enough context to know what’s going on. That guy could have been trying to protect the dog from something in the sand it shouldn’t be digging up (a jellyfish for example) and he may not have intended to kick it hard enough to hurt it. Or he could just be an asshole. I was just playing devil’s advocate, but I still got a laugh out him falling and getting chased into the sea.

[edit: watch the video again, I can’t tell if he was even going to kick the dog, but we were told he was so we buy into it.]

Dude, WTF?!

3 Likes

I see somebody who violated the Community Guidelines.

Keep Punching Up!

2 Likes