Idiot instantly regrets trying to kick a dog

Dog Island sounds great!

In reading up on it I came across this gem, tho: “We apologize to not offer this to poor people but it takes an enormous amount of money to afford this type of beauty.”

While I appreciate the sentiment, I have to say I am not sad that this person runs a private island, away from me. I won’t be visiting there. Even if I can afford it, “Rich People Only” isn’t… yeah. it just isn’t.

1 Like

Maybe a “loose seal” could bite his hand off.

6 Likes

ba-dum tish

1 Like

4 Likes

3 Likes

The whole site’s just a gag though. There is no Dog Island really.

sad woof

6 Likes

I think the dogs you deal with are completely different to any dog I have met or worked with in my life.

The dog walker is at an advantage: he or she is human. We humans have only bread, and kept, dogs that are subservient to humans, for a long, long time. The dog walker has no input to prior training, but then doesn’t need to, they are the human. The dogs remain friendly to each and recognise each other, and look forward to seeing each other, long after the first walk. I’ve known dog walkers who have never had to give any commands, beyond ‘we are now going this way’, and they all respond.

Oh good, because the strawpeople who run it sound insufferable.

2 Likes

Oh, I’ve been bitten. Repeatedly. And I’ve been chased on my bike to the point that I wrecked it and tore up one of my feet in the spokes. One street on my route in particular (this was way back in the 70s) had more loose dogs than I could count. That street was my daily nightmare. One of my tactics was to hop off my bike and use it as a shield, with the far pedal rotated up so that a dog couldn’t jump at me through the middle of the frame. That worked pretty well in most cases, and I was able to deliver my papers without kicking any dogs.

I never blamed the dogs, and I don’t harbor any grudges toward dogs today.

6 Likes

Oh so my old dog went to the island, not the farm. Good good

6 Likes

I used to say this to a friend: (full disclosure: MAJOR dog person here) you think they’re your fur kid…then they eat some poo. Oh. Dog. Right.

2 Likes

Lord of the Flies Fleas

5 Likes

Also the farmer up the road says: One dog is a good dog. Two dogs are bad dogs.
I believe from experience that two is enough for pack behaviour. But damn, I love 'em.

1 Like

My CSB: on a business trip to Kolkata, India. My collegue wanted to buy silver jewelry, so we walked from our hotel to the “silver district”. Very common to see stray dogs everywhere, but never had a problem with them; they kept their distance, and I didn’t approach. I’m a dog lover, but these are hungry, dirty, mangy, sometimes in obvious distress…

I wasn’t interested in buying silver, and not wanting to deal with the high-pressure salesman, I just leaned against a post outside the shop.

After 5 minutes I noticed a crowd of dogs had formed around me. Ten, maybe a dozen in a 10’ diameter circle around me. At first they weren’t an obvious threat. But I noticed they were inching towards me, slowly closing the circle. And sneaky, too, generally only moving when they were out of my field of view.

I popped into a tea shop before they got too close. I’m not convinced great harm was imminent. As a dog lover, I hope they were just coming in for a scratch. But the pack behaviour was damn spooky.

TL;DR: don’t stand still on the streets of Kolkata, or you might get harrassed by a pack of dogs.

4 Likes

My guess is that those dogs were begging for food. Something in your appearance made you look like the kind of guy who might throw them a treat.

1 Like

The guy had issues with the dog’s emails??

1 Like

My brother lives in remote indigenous communities in the NT.

Wild dog packs are routine up there. Part dingo, part cattle dog, in large numbers, completely undomesticated.

If you go outside without a weapon (a big stick will usually do), you’re dead. You don’t actually have to attack the dogs, but you do have to threaten them when they start stalking you.

7 Likes

Lots of reasons. The only acceptable one would be self defense, though.

Well, I’m not a dog person. At all. That said, I’m not much of a human person, either, and in this video, the dogs clearly are the ones to cheer for.

8 Likes

Man Instantly Regrets Stopping to Pet Cats

9 Likes

For a few summers, we would take the kids and our Wheaten terrier, Reilly to a
’Wheaten Picnic’ held in the mostly fenced back yard of a farm house.
For the whole afternoon, I watched this dance: The forty or so dogs ran around,
doing their random thing until one dog started to chase another. Immediately,
the pack joined the chase, and within a beat, every dog owner was on their feet, calling at their dog. Things would calm down for ten minutes, and the dance would start again!

3 Likes