If pro-choice GOP senator votes yes on Kavanaugh, her future opponent will get $500,000

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/06/if-pro-choice-gop-senator-vote.html

9 Likes

Cory Booker just went off reservation! Righteous!

12 Likes

Holy fucksocks; the amount was reported to be $300K just a day or two ago.

Hole-Lee SHIT.

It’s about damn time the Dems grew some spine; let’s see if it makes any difference.

25 Likes

Amen to that shit!

13 Likes

Damning stuff!

4 Likes

These are the docs Rs don't want you to see—because they show that Judge Kavanaugh wrongly believes that Native Hawaiian programs are Constitutionally questionable. I defy anyone reading this to be able to conclude that it should be deemed confidential in any way, shape, or form. pic.twitter.com/yj31vDNGia

— Senator Mazie Hirono (@maziehirono) September 6, 2018

6 Likes

I didn’t even realize he was Native.

2 Likes

Cited case

1 Like

They are race-based categories and subject to strict scrutiny. Kavanaugh’s position here is as boring and correct as it comes.

1 Like

The point; there’s nothing classified or ‘confidential’ there to actually merit that distinction.

11 Likes

and one of the emails that trickled out this morning was Kavanaugh questioning if Roe v. Wade was “settled law”.

“Settled law” is Collins cover for supporting K-dog. With him purportedly personally assuring her settled law, settled law, settled law.

And now Kavanaugh is publicly refusing to answer questions on whether Roe v Wade is settled law.

Major reproductive rights groups that have supported and donated heavily to Collins have been telling every journalist who will quote them how much cash and public support they’ll pull if Kavanaugh is confirmed.

5 Likes

“…a spokesperson for Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley said later in the afternoon that the documents dubbed as “committee confidential” were in fact cleared for release around 4 a.m.”

If true, I guess nobody bothered to tell Booker.

4 Likes

Isn’t this a time warp?

2 Likes

Many of the DNC congress critters with access to these things have been rather loud about there being no legal justification for their being witheld. Nothing classified, nothing privledged. They spent the first couple of days on the confirmation hearings describing the content and saying that the protections they’ve been put under are a fiction to prevent the public from seeing them. Or prevent their use in the hearings.

So yeah they appear to be violating the rules. But they carefully built a public justification for doing it. And I’m willing to bet have prepared legal stuff to argue there was no rule breaking since the protections involved were clearly bullshit.

This is a lot more coordinated than I expected. I though the “why can’t we show the documents” was just weak foot stamping. Its looking more like a planned effort to force the documents out.

4 Likes

I don’t undertsand why any woman would vote to make themselves 2nd class citizens. How can there even be GOP women? I don’t get it.

3 Likes

Not that we’re ever going to find out, but I suspect there was a bit of time travel involved in that “4 AM” declassification - so now the Republicans can throw shade on Booker for intending to violate Senate rules, but go “oh well, we can’t go after him because technically he didn’t actually break the rules. Lucky for him though, cause we’d totally have thrown him out if he had!”

6 Likes

They think that because they would never have an abortion (a perfectly acceptable life choice) no one should be able to. Emphasis on CHOICE. As in they want to take away their own CHOICE not to have an abortion and not let it be an option.

2 Likes

1 Like

Call it ‘Stockholm Syndrome’, or just trying to protect and maintain what little privilege they have as straight, White, Cis-gender women.

(Don’t ask me about the few tokens of color they count among their ranks, my best guess is always going to be deeply rooted self-hatred.)

6 Likes

It’s about to get $25 higher and I haven’t so much as stepped foot in Maine in 35 years.

2 Likes