If the Beatles had produced one more album before breaking up, this would have been it

Originally published at: If the Beatles had produced one more album before breaking up, this would have been it | Boing Boing

4 Likes

You could add Lennon’s “Jealous Guy”, since he can be seen working out an original version of the song as “Road to Rishikesh” in the film outtakes for Let It Be, later also called “Child of Nature.”

2 Likes

It’s there - track 4 on side B.

3 Likes

Oh f$%k. I looked at both sides twice and didn’t see it somehow, my bad.

[ETA: off topic, but Donny Hathaway’s version of the song is my favorite, arguably better than the og.]

3 Likes

I thought Everyday Chemistry was the great post-Beatles album we never got (in this timeline)

3 Likes

I dumped spotify a while ago. Wish this was on another platform. I’ll admit Spotify has better user interface than Apple but I cant bring myself to pay them money again. (Or sit and listen to 4 commercials)

3 Likes

Baby I’m Amazed is the " hidden track?"

2 Likes

Five out of fourteen being George Harrison’s songs. By far, that would have been the most “allowed in” by Paul and John.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I am a huge Beatles fan, but I wouldn’t say I fantasize about it. It’s hard to believe, but all the Beatles were still in their 20s when they broke up. They put out an extremely impressive body of work over only 8 years, releasing 14 albums — many which are considered masterpieces.

When they broke up, they did it while they were on top. They didn’t stay around long enough to become a self-parody of themselves (sometimes many times over) unlike some of their contemporaries like The Rolling Stones or my much beloved The Beach Boys.

It would have been lovely to see a reunion in the future after they had the time to grow up and do their own thing, sadly it just wasn’t meant to be.

2 Likes

I remember Robert Hilburn , LA Times music critic , doing this in the early 70’s by cherry picking the solo albums as they came out.

2 Likes

I do not think George would have been given 4 of the 15 tracks. 3 of the 15 tracks maybe seems to be how many John and Paul would have allotted him.

With that in mind, again based on how The Beatles operated in those days, “Maybe I’m Amazed” would have taken one of the four tracks you originally gave George. “Maybe I’m Amazed” would have been the “A” side of the first single (maybe only single) from the album. Perhaps to contrast, John’s “Jealous Guy” would have been the “B” side or to do something new, have a George track be the “B” side to a Paul “A” side.

Bottom line, “Maybe I’m Amazed” is the “A” side “money shot” for a radio playable single therefore, it would have to be on the “Everest” album and George only gets 3 of the 15 tracks.

2 Likes

Would have been nice if they had pulled an Eagles style “we’re reuniting for the $$$” tour” or a Pink Floyd style “OK just this one time for charity, but I still kinda hate your guts” reunion.

1 Like

First of all, Welcome to BoingBoing! That was a great intro post.

George had pretty legitimate reasons for leaving the Beatles.

One thing that the “Get Back” series hammered home to me was how insufferable and counterproductive John was at that time. Maybe it was just a warts and all presentation as to how he always worked.

1 Like

As much of a John fan as I am, he’s always seemed pretty damn insufferable. He has definitely had a long standing reputation as an asshole, especially during that time period. But they were all so young then and still had a lot to learn. John seemed to be mellowing out right around the time he got murdered so we’ll never know what could have been.

1 Like

Get Back shows a fascinating team dynamic. John plays the class clown to Paul’s (self-appointed?) team lead. Paul has very definite compositional ideas and early in the in-studio writing sessions is critical of George’s contributions, meanwhile keeping a soft spot for John’s musical comedy.

George’s new tunes are marvelous, but he must have been at a low point, since he is so understated in his presentation of the demos.

You can really see Paul holding back critique after they talk George into rejoining the band and move the recording session to Apple’s studio. And it’s wonderful to watch how Billy Preston noticeably lifts the mood when he drops in to the studio and starts comping so fluidly.

Jackson really did a great job presenting the natural narrative arc of the recording sessions.

2 Likes

An interesting note is Dave Grohl positioned himself in personal accounts as sort of the “George Harrison of Nirvana”.

He had all these songs in his head and written down, but was afraid to come forward with them. Partly because it didn’t fit the band’s style but mostly out of fear of Kurt Cobain. Cobain was the songwriter and frontman and wasn’t a collaborative type for the most part.*

*admittedly it’s purely Grohl’s take on things and you can’t defame the deceased.

2 Likes

What do you guy think of the new Revolver mix?

It’s got an amazing soundstage, it’s sounds bassier (though I’m using bookshelves without a subwoofer) and it’s probably less annoying for headphone listeners but is it sacrilegious to use neural networks to widen the mix?

2 Likes

Love the new mixes! Giles Martin and his team did a wonderful job. Great to hear the bass in a broader stereo sound field. Great depth and clarity. Sounds like you’re in the room.

The fast (normal speed) version of Rain is wild! Including the demos and outtakes is super cool. Great to be able to retire all my Yellow Dog boots. :grin:

2 Likes

Every Beatles album had at least one token Ringo song. I can’t think of any that were full Beatles attempted collaborations, so I would go with “It Don’t Come Easy.”

2 Likes