If The Beatles wrote “Love Will Tear Us Apart” by Joy Division

Originally published at: If The Beatles wrote "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division | Boing Boing

A shot of the guitar playing is reversed (mirror image), but not the bass. Backwards, innit?

2 Likes

Same is true of this one, which is also less uncanny-valley-teeth-curling-backwards-into-my-brain than the OP, BTW.

I think he (or his editor) is trying to avoid doing too many quasi-jump-cuts?

2 Likes

Criminal if you ask me.

5 Likes

no vocal harmony :confused:

3 Likes

His Smiths are more convincing than his Beatles

5 Likes

This is no wonderful thing.

5 Likes

I couldn’t make it thru the initial stanza. Just no.

6 Likes

That’s called bass ackwards.

11 Likes

No Thank You Reaction GIF

4 Likes

His Surf-Goth EP is really really good - way more than just a gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHRZAKumetY

3 Likes

As long as it’s better than this… it just does not work.

3 Likes

Indeed, very far from it.

1 Like

3 Likes

Bauhaus is very surfy

Surf and goth go way back

3 Likes
7 Likes

I recently heard that Ian Curtis originally wanted it to be an upbeat song like “Love Will Keep Us Together”.

1 Like

I know I’m going off on a total tangent now but the surf-space rock band man or Astro man did a great cover of that theme. (They have also done some other great covers like the jetsons theme and the mst3k theme but this one is quite good) MAN OR ASTRO-MAN? munsters theme - YouTube

7 Likes

He’s sort of got the British Invasion/beat group sound down for the most part, but not really the Beatles specifically. There were plenty of lesser bands around at that time, trying to sound Beatlesque, and that’s closer to how he’s sounding. Also, given the melody and words, why is the tempo so upbeat and spritely? The Beatles did plenty of slower songs – something mid-tempo like Misery or There’s a Place would suit then melancholy nature of the original.

2 Likes

I recently (okay many years ago) realised it was an answer song to that.

Unpopular opinion: the bass in Captain and Tenille is better than Joy Division. “Wear it low and play it high”. It’s a bass, fucker. Don’t know how she plays that skittering Moog bass while playing the piano and singing.

1 Like